Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Dap-- Yes I did make it. I craved it with a chainsaw out of a white pine that blew down in a storm at my place. I've been wanting to make some more but I haven't come across any logs lately.
I really like it.

I've wanted to make birdfeeders out of logs like that.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Pairing nest boxes it good if you have tree swallows and bluebirds. I've never seen them here, you many want to try pairing if you have both.
We do get both, but for some reason, over the past two years, the tree swallows seem to abandon the nests. I'm hoping to have better luck this year.

Quote:
Last year we had chickadees take up residence in the second box. They are fun to watch too. We did have to move one box that was too near the edge of the woods because cowbirds really favored that location. So did the bluebirds. Now that we've moved it there hasn't been much action there.
We had chickadees in one of ours last year. I don't see them this year.

Maybe I'll have to move some of ours around if they are not used or not successful.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #23
WG Fundraising Coordinator

The fuzzballs are fuzzballs no more! I'm glad they survived the colder temps we've had lately.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluebirds 2013-bluebirds.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

Awwwwwwwwww..... too cute!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #25

Quote:
The fuzzballs are fuzzballs no more! I'm glad they survived the colder temps we've had lately.
Great photo, linrose!

Most of the time, I've used my cellphone to take photos of the babies, but they never look good. Maybe, I'll try to get one like yours with the regular camera one of these days.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #26

Finally those freeloaders took a hike and fledged today. All five survived and I'll be watching to see how they get on.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Finally those freeloaders took a hike and fledged today. All five survived and I'll be watching to see how they get on.
Happy day!

I *think* mine fledged the other day...I always seem to miss it, but hopefully I'll see them like I finally did last year--after the fact.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #28

Well it looks like my nesting pair have changed houses. They decided on the one farthest from the house out in the low field. This is the first time I've had anything nest in that box. I was concerned the nest box size wasn't right, it's shallower and wider than the two others. I don't really like it because it opens from the bottom so it's difficult to monitor the nest. Fortunately the bluebirds liked it and now there are five eggs again. Usually we see smaller clutches as the season goes on.

I need to get one of those dental mirrors to check on the nest as opening the box is probably not a good idea now. The nest is built right up to the entrance hole.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #29
Alternate POM Judge

Nice to hear about the bluebirds. I have had
Terrible luck with my boxes at home. I found
a bluebird pecked to death in one box.
I get ants wasps bees hornets in my boxes.
I have tried several things to keep pests
Out of my boxes. I'll keep trying. The bluebird
Trail I manage at a state facility has fledged
Five bluebirds this year. We only have four
Boxes right now. The other 11 boxes are
Being put back up. Last year we fledged
23 bluebirds from our trail. It's great to hear
about WG bluebird successes this year!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #30

It's really horrible dealing with bluebird deaths when you do all you can to protect and encourage them to nest on your property. I'm glad when we have a good survival rate knowing that in the wild it's probably lower, that's the circle of life.

23 bluebirds fledged on your trail, happy day! That has to encourage you. I've gotten really brave and tough on wasps nesting in the boxes, I just scrape out the nests and run! I haven't had a problem with ants or bees or hornets though.

Tags
2013, bluebirds