Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great photos, linrose. Congratulations!

We have a pair using the same box that they always choose--I'm assuming it is the same pair, if not, I guess all bluebirds prefer where that box is located.

I put up more boxes this year, but with only two acres, I'm not sure that I have enough space--from what I read in some places, they won't nest within 300 ft. of each other (although, I always thought it was less).

So, how did you manage three pairs? How far apart are your nest boxes?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Heron

I got a surprise today when I walked around the house!
Bluebirds 2013-p1040043.jpg
Momma bluebird set up shop in one of my boxes! The same one that had bluebirds 2 years ago. I had just removed a HOSP nest 2 weeks ago.
Bluebirds 2013-p1040037.jpg
Dad has been loitering about too.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
WG Fundraising Coordinator

dap - so far only one pair has nested although there is a fully completed nest in another box and a few blades of dried grass in the third. I'm assuming we have only one nesting pair that has chosen the same box as the past few years but "tried out" the other boxes before finally settling on the original. Sialis says 300' is minimum between boxes but ours are only about 225' apart. We've had three pairs at the same time in the past but it looks like there's only one this year.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I've heard Bluebirds require 600' in all directions from their nestbox
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #15

sage, 300' is the recommended minimum for Eastern bluebirds. Here's a page from Sialis on starting a bluebird trail.

How to Start a Bluebird Trail
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Ok, thanks!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I got a surprise today when I walked around the house!

Momma bluebird set up shop in one of my boxes!
Congratulations, recurve! I wish them (and you) success.

BTW, that is a very cool looking nest box; did you make it?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
dap - so far only one pair has nested although there is a fully completed nest in another box and a few blades of dried grass in the third. I'm assuming we have only one nesting pair that has chosen the same box as the past few years but "tried out" the other boxes before finally settling on the original. Sialis says 300' is minimum between boxes but ours are only about 225' apart. We've had three pairs at the same time in the past but it looks like there's only one this year.
Thanks, linrose. It is nice to know you've had them nest closer than the 300' (I'd read that too, but I thought I'd read less in a book.) Our property is ~400'X200', so, I guess I do have the room for it, but the favored box is in the middle of the second acre (far enough away from the hedgerow and other trees), so it will be kind of hard to find another open area 300' away since the property is bordered by trees on both ends.

I did add another box pretty far away and separated by our barn, so we'll see what happens. The funny thing is I put them up last week after I saw the tree swallows had arrived and were checking out the other boxes. They watched me put it up and checked it out excitedly as soon as it was up.

I also read that nest boxes should be paired (I forget how close together), because although bluebirds won't nest close to each other, they are okay with tree swallows being fairly close.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #19
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Congratulations, recurve! I wish them (and you) success.

BTW, that is a very cool looking nest box; did you make it?
Dap-- Yes I did make it. I craved it with a chainsaw out of a white pine that blew down in a storm at my place. I've been wanting to make some more but I haven't come across any logs lately.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #20

That is a cool nest box recurve, and the birds seem to like it too!

Pairing nest boxes it good if you have tree swallows and bluebirds. I've never seen them here, you many want to try pairing if you have both.

Last year we had chickadees take up residence in the second box. They are fun to watch too. We did have to move one box that was too near the edge of the woods because cowbirds really favored that location. So did the bluebirds. Now that we've moved it there hasn't been much action there.

Tags
2013, bluebirds