Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Heron

Default Warbler ID HELP!

There are warblers down here at Disney hopping around on the sidewalks like sparrows and I can't ID them it's making me crazy! They aren't in full plumage and not singing so I'm just guessing what they are but there seems to be a few different species. I did hear a yellow warbler singing the other morning but I'm pretty sure these are not yellow's. Here are a few pics.
Warbler ID HELP!-p1030972.jpg
Warbler ID HELP!-p1030978.jpg
These first 2 I keep going back and forth between yellow rumped, blackburian, black throated green, and magnolia,
Warbler ID HELP!-p1030977.jpg
I'm pretty sure this one is a yellow rumped
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Heron

Hmmm, are sure sure you don't have...

A yellow-rumped warbler here? I am noting the yellow just under the "wrists" plus the streaked belly and slight wingbars.
Attachment 35464

An orange-crowned warbler here? I am noting the yellow vent (undertail coverts) and rather drab overall. I wish I could see his face....
Attachment 35465

I think this is a palm warbler because of the yellow throat patch, the rufous crown, and the streaked breast.
Attachment 35466
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
Hmmm, are sure sure you don't have...

A yellow-rumped warbler here? I am noting the yellow just under the "wrists" plus the streaked belly and slight wingbars.
Attachment 35464[/ATTACH]
The thing that"s throwing me on this one is the defined whit throat patch coupled with the eyebrow streak. I'm from up north if it's not singing and fully plumed I have a hard time telling warblers apart.

Thanks for the help
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Grub

The third one is most definitely a palm warbler.

The first I would say is a yellow-rumped, but I see your concern about the more striking white throat, and eyebrow streak. However, in my Peterson's Warbler book, it shows those features. Yellow-rumpeds in my experience are pretty variable (especially in winter), so I don't think it's a stretch to say this one is just more prominently white.

The second is definitely the hardest to ID, and kchd might have it with the orange-crowned. But again the field guide states that the undertail coverts are a pale yellow on and orange-crowned, and this bird seems too bright to match that. The only other species that would match that feature is a palm warbler. So my question is: did bird #2 and #3 look different from the front? The book also says different ages of palm warblers molt into their chestnut crown at different times in mid-winter. #3 could be an older bird that has already molted and #2 might not have yet. Palm warblers are very common in Florida in winter (in the right habitat).

Having said all that I could be totally off since I have essentially no experience IDing orange-crowneds. Just going by the book on that one, and I agree that I really wish the face was visible.
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I vote #1 is a yellow-rumped warbler. I have a bunch of them in the winter, and most have white throats. I think the bright yellow throat is more of a breeding season plumage, though the guides are not very specific.

I would agree with kchd on the palm warbler, just from the photos in iBird, but I have no experience with them or with the others, so I bow to experience on those.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird id, birds, crowned, feathers, ibird, identification, identify, orange, plumage, rumped, warbler, warblers, yellow