Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Yes, recurve, it is a Mallard x American Black Duck hen. I sent the pix to my wildlife-biologist friend and she confirmed it and she's going to use the pic in the DEC newsletter this month. They're doing a study on them! Cool!

So a new one for me today, a Horned Grebe! (Unless Connie disagrees) I was double checking Horned vs. Eared so I hope I got it right! I hope there will be little grebelings soon!

~Waterfowl 2013~-p1450798hogr.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Yes, recurve, it is a Mallard x American Black Duck hen. I sent the pix to my wildlife-biologist friend and she confirmed it and she's going to use the pic in the DEC newsletter this month. They're doing a study on them! Cool!

So a new one for me today, a Horned Grebe! (Unless Connie disagrees) I was double checking Horned vs. Eared so I hope I got it right! I hope there will be little grebelings soon!

Attachment 36199
Cool I saw my first horned grebe last year!

Did your wildlife -biologist friend tell you what characteristics tipped her off to the fact it was a hybrid cause I would love to know for my own ID purposes.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #23

I will ask her!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #24

Recurve, here's her answer: "The duck hybrid - it has a black duck head. Can tell by the dark head with darker eye stripe and the green bill. Mallards don't have these. The body is mallard -brown and mottled."

Plus,she disagrees with Horned Grebe, but there was a report on genesee birders.net last night or horned grebes exactly where this one was. Update: she wrote back saying YES, it IS a Horned Grebe!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Recurve, here's her answer: "The duck hybrid - it has a black duck head. Can tell by the dark head with darker eye stripe and the green bill. Mallards don't have these. The body is mallard -brown and mottled."

Plus,she disagrees with Horned Grebe, but there was a report on genesee birders.net last night or horned grebes exactly where this one was. Update: she wrote back saying YES, it IS a Horned Grebe!
Very interesting I would have guessed it was just a hen mallard. I'll have to look more closely at what I'm assuming are hen mallards in the future to hone my eye. Thanks for the info
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #26

Before I sent her the pic, I tried my best to make it match Mallard or American Black Duck hens but it just didn't match either. I guess Mallards are promiscuous!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
Heron

Mallards are extremely promiscuous as are most ducks! But mallards will mate with just about anything I've been trying to find a webpage that I saw once that has pictures of mallard hybrids. There was seriously 40-50 diffrent species they hybridized with and some of the where quite striking the mallard x pintail comes to mind. I'll keep digging for it.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhh.... I'd like to see that website!!! If you're not too busy with finals and all.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #29
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ohhh.... I'd like to see that website!!! If you're not too busy with finals and all.
I found this one
10,000 Birds | Hybrid Mallards
But I'm sure there was another I'm still looking
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #30
Official Plant Nerd

A baseline for "mallardness".... that's pretty funny if you think about it. This had me rolling on the floor laughing.... "Teals are nearly as indiscriminately amorous as Mallards". I think the more I look at these photos.... the more trouble I'm in. I barely know ducks and now I'm getting thrown big time curve balls.

Tags
2013, bird, birds, canadian geese, canvasback, duck, ducks, geese, goldeneye, goose, loon, loones, mallard, merganser, oldsquaws, swans, waterfowl