Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Default

Yes, recurve, it is a Mallard x American Black Duck hen. I sent the pix to my wildlife-biologist friend and she confirmed it and she's going to use the pic in the DEC newsletter this month. They're doing a study on them! Cool!

So a new one for me today, a Horned Grebe! (Unless Connie disagrees) I was double checking Horned vs. Eared so I hope I got it right! I hope there will be little grebelings soon!

~Waterfowl 2013~-p1450798hogr.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
Heron
 
recurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: powell,Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Yes, recurve, it is a Mallard x American Black Duck hen. I sent the pix to my wildlife-biologist friend and she confirmed it and she's going to use the pic in the DEC newsletter this month. They're doing a study on them! Cool!

So a new one for me today, a Horned Grebe! (Unless Connie disagrees) I was double checking Horned vs. Eared so I hope I got it right! I hope there will be little grebelings soon!

Attachment 36199
Cool I saw my first horned grebe last year!

Did your wildlife -biologist friend tell you what characteristics tipped her off to the fact it was a hybrid cause I would love to know for my own ID purposes.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #23
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Default

I will ask her!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #24
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Default

Recurve, here's her answer: "The duck hybrid - it has a black duck head. Can tell by the dark head with darker eye stripe and the green bill. Mallards don't have these. The body is mallard -brown and mottled."

Plus,she disagrees with Horned Grebe, but there was a report on genesee birders.net last night or horned grebes exactly where this one was. Update: she wrote back saying YES, it IS a Horned Grebe!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
Heron
 
recurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: powell,Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Recurve, here's her answer: "The duck hybrid - it has a black duck head. Can tell by the dark head with darker eye stripe and the green bill. Mallards don't have these. The body is mallard -brown and mottled."

Plus,she disagrees with Horned Grebe, but there was a report on genesee birders.net last night or horned grebes exactly where this one was. Update: she wrote back saying YES, it IS a Horned Grebe!
Very interesting I would have guessed it was just a hen mallard. I'll have to look more closely at what I'm assuming are hen mallards in the future to hone my eye. Thanks for the info
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Default

Before I sent her the pic, I tried my best to make it match Mallard or American Black Duck hens but it just didn't match either. I guess Mallards are promiscuous!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
Heron
 
recurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: powell,Ohio
Default

Mallards are extremely promiscuous as are most ducks! But mallards will mate with just about anything I've been trying to find a webpage that I saw once that has pictures of mallard hybrids. There was seriously 40-50 diffrent species they hybridized with and some of the where quite striking the mallard x pintail comes to mind. I'll keep digging for it.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
Official Plant Nerd
 
Equilibrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default

Ohhh.... I'd like to see that website!!! If you're not too busy with finals and all.
__________________
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #29
Heron
 
recurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: powell,Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ohhh.... I'd like to see that website!!! If you're not too busy with finals and all.
I found this one
10,000 Birds | Hybrid Mallards
But I'm sure there was another I'm still looking
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #30
Official Plant Nerd
 
Equilibrium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default

A baseline for "mallardness".... that's pretty funny if you think about it. This had me rolling on the floor laughing.... "Teals are nearly as indiscriminately amorous as Mallards". I think the more I look at these photos.... the more trouble I'm in. I barely know ducks and now I'm getting thrown big time curve balls.
__________________
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2013, bird, birds, canadian geese, canvasback, duck, ducks, geese, goldeneye, goose, loon, loones, mallard, merganser, oldsquaws, swans, waterfowl

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2