Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Great Backyard Bird Count 2013

I dropped the ball on this one. It was through Wildlife Gardeners that I first heard about the backyard bird count. For some reason, I thought it was January first, so, in December I looked it up only to find it was in February...at the time that seemed a long time off. Anyway, just searched today and realized it is this weekend--from Feb. 15-18.

It's not too late! Okay so we missed yesterday and today, but there are still two days left.

For more information:
Welcome to GBBC — Great Backyard Bird Count
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I dropped the ball on this one. It was through Wildlife Gardeners that I first heard about the backyard bird count. For some reason, I thought it was January first, so, in December I looked it up only to find it was in February...at the time that seemed a long time off. Anyway, just searched today and realized it is this weekend--from Feb. 15-18.

It's not too late! Okay so we missed yesterday and today, but there are still two days left.

For more information:
Welcome to GBBC — Great Backyard Bird Count
Don't feel bad Dap I went to an event for a little while today and I was the only one besides the Naturalists at the nature center that showed for the first hour and a half anyway. I almost forgot about it too till I saw a post on facebook about it this morning.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

Thanks, recurve. I guess better late than never. I hope members will see this and take the time to watch, count, and submit their results. I found it enjoyable...and I'm looking forward to doing it tomorrow and on Monday (it helps to be off that day). I need something to pull me out of a funk.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Heron

Well I see you have a funky Carolina wren as an avatar now! I had 2 at my feeder this morning and 1 at the nature center this afternoon. Just think how good you'll feel when that flock of redpolls and crossbills visit you tomorrow
Here's to hoping!
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Well I see you have a funky Carolina wren as an avatar now! I had 2 at my feeder this morning and 1 at the nature center this afternoon. Just think how good you'll feel when that flock of redpolls and crossbills visit you tomorrow
Here's to hoping!
I'm getting slap-happy switching my avatar anytime I get another photo I like. I *just* took that just before dusk today. I love Carolina wrens. They are cute and cheerful.

I'd love to see redpolls and or crossbills--I don't think I've ever seen them before, so here's hoping you do send them my way.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Offical Silphium Abuser

I forgot this was the weekend (if I even knew--the aging brain...) and only spent a few minutes watching the feeders. I'll try to count for at least a little while tomorrow morning. Thanks for the reminder, dap.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I forgot this was the weekend (if I even knew--the aging brain...) and only spent a few minutes watching the feeders. I'll try to count for at least a little while tomorrow morning. Thanks for the reminder, dap.
I always depend on someone here to post a reminder here. This is where I first heard about it. Hopefully next year one of us will remember to post...I'm sure there are enough bird lovers here, someone is bound to remember--and maybe give us an early warning next time.

Enjoy your watch and count tomorrow...they require a minimum of 15 minutes.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

I'd never noticed a redpoll around me before a coupla years ago. They said the unseasonably cold temps in Canada have been driving em down our way. We had a few this season.... I haven't seen em recently though but... I haven't really had time to be looking for them. They like our thistle feeder. Maybe try hanging out a thistle feeders since Canada had another brrrrr cold year so if they're down by me.... they might be in your area.
--
Niiiiiiice new avatar Dappy!!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I'd never noticed a redpoll around me before a coupla years ago. They said the unseasonably cold temps in Canada have been driving em down our way. We had a few this season.... I haven't seen em recently though but... I haven't really had time to be looking for them. They like our thistle feeder. Maybe try hanging out a thistle feeders since Canada had another brrrrr cold year so if they're down by me.... they might be in your area.
--
Niiiiiiice new avatar Dappy!!!!
Hmmm...I guess I should realize that offering more variety of seed would attract more varieties of birds. When I was younger-- and still living t home, I used to put out a lot more seed...including thistle seed. Since moving here, I've limited myself to black oil sunflower seeds. I just don't want to put out "junk" seed or anything else that might attract the European starlings. I guess they don't come to the thistle seed anyway, so maybe I could give it a try to see what else I can attract.

--
Thanks, Equilibrium, I think I'll keep him for a while. Maybe spring will bring a new avatar, if not, I'll probably switch back to my frog for the summer.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Try some safflower seed too. Whole unsalted nuts go over well by us too and for sure suet with raisins and cranberries in it. It's the cheap bird seed the HOSPs and EUSTs like. The redpolls only went to the the thistle feeder though.
--
Wanna get rid of your nice new shiny avatar real fast.... just type the "Z" word.

Tags
2013, backyard, bird, count, great