Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Try some safflower seed too. Whole unsalted nuts go over well by us too and for sure suet with raisins and cranberries in it. It's the cheap bird seed the HOSPs and EUSTs like. The redpolls only went to the the thistle feeder though.
--
Wanna get rid of your nice new shiny avatar real fast.... just type the "Z" word.
I have put out peanuts, almonds, walnuts...and even a few pistachios on occasion. It sounds like the thistle seed is what I'd need to attract these "new-to-me" birds.

--

The "z" word!? --OH, the ""z" word! No--no way! I wanna hold on to the new guy for a while. ...and, I'm still waiting for "Little Miss Trouble" and "Garlic Breath" to go back to normal!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I submitted my count a few hours ago.

I put out a mix of BOSS, peanuts, suet nuggets, cranberries, safflower, and who knows what else - it is a "winter blend" for the south from Wild Birds Unlimited and is too expensive, but putting it out is what brought the bluebirds, and yellow rumped warblers. The brown headed nuthatch came when I was putting out mealworms for about a week when we had a cold snap and snow, and he stayed once he had found the feeder.

However, pine siskins are eating me out of house and home this year. Are the rest of you having this issue? They are native, so I shouldn't complain, but they are chasing everyone else away, and they are real pigs with the rate they are eating my seed. I counted 38 today.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy> Ha ha ha.... Little Miss Trouble and Garlic Breath must like their "gifted" avatars like I liked the "Must Touch Shiny" avatar I was "gifted" or..... they would have changed them back themselves by now. They're both funny avatars that make me laugh.... it's why I left the "gifted" raccoon avatar for about a year!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I submitted my count a few hours ago.

I put out a mix of BOSS, peanuts, suet nuggets, cranberries, safflower, and who knows what else - it is a "winter blend" for the south from Wild Birds Unlimited and is too expensive, but putting it out is what brought the bluebirds, and yellow rumped warblers. The brown headed nuthatch came when I was putting out mealworms for about a week when we had a cold snap and snow, and he stayed once he had found the feeder.

However, pine siskins are eating me out of house and home this year. Are the rest of you having this issue? They are native, so I shouldn't complain, but they are chasing everyone else away, and they are real pigs with the rate they are eating my seed. I counted 38 today.
Your count already surpassed mine in your pine siskins alone!

Here I was thinking I'd like to have them, but now you make me think twice.

I used to spend a LOT more on birdseed, but that was when I was living at home. I try to keep it pretty contained nowadays. I'm into my third fifty-pound bag of BOSS (I hate those acronyms, but once I figured it out I thought I'd use it in that sentence cuz it sounds funny ). I bought a ten-pound bag to tide me over lat week until I could make a run to Agway.

I'd love to see the bluebirds over winter, so maybe I should consider the suet mix you suggest. I have to wonder how they'd find it though...I have tried putting berries and such out in the past and they are left uneaten.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Dappy> Ha ha ha.... Little Miss Trouble and Garlic Breath must like their "gifted" avatars like I liked the "Must Touch Shiny" avatar I was "gifted" or..... they would have changed them back themselves by now.
That, or they not know how!

Tags
2013, backyard, bird, count, great