Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Mentor

Default Remembird

I received my remembird a month ago but only got around to testing it yesterday in heavy wind on a distant bird, you'll need to turn the volume up and listen carefully to hear it but see if you can guess the bird.

Remembird Test 1
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Grub

I just googled Remembird and it sounds like it'd be VERY useful in the field to help ID's! I have had several occasions where I hear something and wanted to record it, and also wished I could easily record the field marks I'm seeing to help ID later, but end up not clearly remembering exactly what I saw. I hate carrying a notepad with me - too inconvenient for me. This appears to be just what I need!
(I've always wanted something that you can take into the field with you to record a song, and have this miracle contraption tell you what it is... maybe it will exist sooner than I thought!)
This puppy is definitely going on my Christmas list! Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and my guess is Eastern Screech Owl.
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I have the volume cranked.... what am I doing wrong? I'm not hearing anything.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I couldn't get it to work either.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

So, who has had ongoing experience with the Remembird, and is it as cool as it looks on the website? I had trouble hearing the bird behind the wind sound in midwesternerr's recording. Is this an ongoing problem or only occasionally?

I was going to put a game camera on my Christmas list, like the one that took the cool photo of the grey foxes on the other thread, but this looks cooler if it really works.

I got binoculars that record onto an SD card as a gift about five years ago and they were a flop on many levels, so I am skeptical about new, cool devices.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Mentor

I would say the volume of the recording was ~20% less than the volume in person. It's hard to say if that's a fair average because of the high wind. The purpose is for night bird surveys which are done for the year, so I won't really be able to test it until 2013. If you only care about ID, audacity will amplify it and you can make it a lot louder if you want. If you care about quality, you'll have to edit noise before amplifying or get closer to the birds. For a little more, you can do a homemade system (but you'll have much more to carry/setup) or you can buy either system used to save money. If you search you can find other recordings with the device to get a better idea what to expect. For really high end recordings, you're definitely going to want an external MIC.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remembird