Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Looks like not all Whole Foods stores carry it. If you have a Wild Birds Unlimited nearby it seems most of them do. I'm going to try the Birds & Beans Scarlet Tanager ordered online. Shipping is crazy expensive though. I'm buying it for DH as I no longer drink coffee, just tea.

A list of local Birds & Beans retailers if its nearby and you want to avoid shipping costs.
Birds & Beans® - The Good Coffee
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Co-Administrator

finch

Quote:
Make it easy for everyone in the USA to drink 'Bird Friendly®' Coffee – a real way to support sustainability.

The Birds & Beans mission is about making it easier for everyday tasks, like your morning cup of coffee, to make a real difference in the world live in.

We want to make sure that people who enjoy coffee and care about sustainability can get great coffee that they know is good for bird conservation, family farmers and workers and the environment we all share. Our commitment to quality and service ensures that fresh roasted, great tasting ‘Birds & Beans - the good coffee’™ flies straight to your door and into your cup.

Quote:
Birds & Beans® only sells Bird Friendly® coffee, certified by The Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center as coming from 100% organic farms which meet strict bio diversity criteria.

We sell in 12oz and 2 lb bags, and our pounds equal 16 ounces!

Order a bag or two today and tell us how you like it. We will roast your order within 7 days of sending it to you and hope you fall in love with Birds & Beans®. If you are not 100% satisfied we will refund your full cost including shipping and handling, just call us and tell us you want your money back.
https://birdsandbeans.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #13
Co-Administrator

finch Science Soars with Bird Friendly Coffee Funding

Science Soars with Bird Friendly Coffee Funding

May 13, 2015 by Robert Rice
Quote:
Update for the Bird Friendly Coffee Program (January, 2015)

Since its establishment in the year 2000, the Bird Friendly (BF) coffee program has grown considerably, showing an average annual increase in volume of coffee sold of 54%. The graph below shows the yearly growth, divided between the North American and the Japanese markets, the main markets as of today (European markets began developing in the last 18 months).
Quote:
More Coffee Sold to Market = More Land Protected as Habitat

In terms of conservation, the amount of land maintained in forest-like conditions—the BF coffee agroforestry setting—is the principal objective of the BF coffee program.

As of early 2014, the BF coffee program rests upon the production of 1,152 growers who produce 7.7 million pounds (3.5 million kilograms) of certified organic, certified shade (BF) coffee. The total area of BF coffee currently extends over 5,544 hectares in 11 countries.
The biggest challenge facing the BF coffee program is marketing.
Quote:
Trees/Insects/Birds: What's the Connection?

SMBC staff and colleagues from the University of Delaware have set up field experiments on two coffee farms in Nicaragua to determine which shade trees harbor the greatest variety of insects—an important food source for birds and other wildlife.
Science Soars with Bird Friendly Coffee Funding - Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
Offical Silphium Abuser

We have bought coffee from Rogers Coffee Company for years. They are not on the Smithsonian list but work with biodiverse farms in several countries.

Environment Friendly Coffee | Rogers Coffee : Rogers Family Coffee

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:57 AM   #15
Fox

I got an email from the Birds & Beans company yesterday that offered a free 12oz bag of coffee with each order. In about a week or so we'll be trying two of their "Bird Friendly" coffees.

Right now mail order is really the only option for us; there are no local sources. I would really like to find a local organization or group of local coffee drinkers where we could pool orders and reduce the shipping costs.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #16
Fox

It's been a while since this thread was active, but over the years I've continued to periodically look for a local source of bird friendly certified coffee.

A few weeks ago I went on another hunt for that elusive local source. I ran into several promising leads, but most of them turned out to be dead ends. Fortunately two leads did pan out!

Both Target and Pick 'n Save stores carry "Cafe Fair" brand coffees.
https://www.target.com/p/steep-brew-...z/-/A-47100947
https://www.picknsave.com/p/cafe-fair-organic-morning-blend-ground-coffee/0001678103550

Not all of the Cafe Fair branded coffees are certified bird friendly, but their "Morning Blend" is; and that happens to be the one that we like the most.

It's easy to check if the one you are interested in is bird friendly, just look for the Smithsonian's bird friendly symbol on the package:
https://nationalzoo.si.edu/migratory-birds/about-bird-friendly-coffee

You can also check at the roaster's website:
https://steepandbrewcoffee.com/coffees-for-home/cafe-fair/10-12-oz-retail-bags.html
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, support, warblers, wintering