Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Heron

Default Migrating songbirds in our gardens

Anyone else enjoying spotting native songbirds passing through on migration? Today I spotted a few warblers. I believe they are Yellow-rumped (myrtle) warblers, and they are hanging out a our small pond. I like to think they are resting and relaxing before the next leg of their journey.

Last week on a Sunday, my husband and I sat out in our yard and watched a whole flock of songbirds in our yard. The flock included unidentified vireos, black-and-white warblers, other warblers in fall plumage (difficult to identify with certainty), including Nashville warblers and possibly American redstart. When I set the garden hose at a trickle and place it up on the rocks, it makes a loud sound of water in the pond and the birds respond by coming in droves!

What other migrants are being spotted this fall?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Heron

I believe I had a yellow-rumped warbler in my yard last week as well.
Migrating songbirds in our gardens-p1030593.jpg
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Heron

Beautiful photo!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Fox

Not being a birder, I might be oblivious to many visitors, but the only one I have noticed so far was a flock of robins who took over the birdbath and helped themselves to some pokeberries.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I really should watch more...but even the little I do, I've potted two different species at my poke berry so far.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
WG Fundraising Coordinator

A yellow rumped warbler came to my window this morning looking for insects. I went out to see if there was a flock and I did see a flock of small birds circling high over the field. Perhaps they were migrating and searching for berries, we have lots of dogwoods with ripe fruit now. I know they winter in Kentucky, maybe they'll stay.

On another note, a red-bellied and downy woodpecker came to the same window this morning. That's the first I've seen of them since last winter. It's in the 30s in the mornings now, I guess they've come out of the woods now that summer's over looking for seed in the feeders. Another sign of fall!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #7

Just last week I saw a nuthatch...and realized that I'd likely finally discovered what was using the holes in a dead vertical branch in a sugar maple on the property line.

Within a day or two I saw some activity in the backyard and realized that a chickadee and a titmouse had discovered the ripened sunflower seed head that volunteered in the back yard. I moved it near the bay window so I could get some shots of the birds coming to it.

I'd still like to get a shot of the nuthatch using the holes in the maple...I'd love to be sure it is really using the snag...hopefully if it nests there this spring, I'll get some good shots.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I have a pair of red breasted nuthatches who moved into my back yard as of about a week ago. They will winter with me and then go back from whence they came. I haven't had red breasted ones since the winter of 2008, though I have white breasted who live year round with me, and brown headed ones that show up intermittently.

I also have seen a pileated woodpecker in my yard twice this week. My trees are too small for him to live here, so I don't know where he is hanging out.

No juncos yet. I usually have a yellow rumped warbler or two, pine warblers and pine siskins here for the winter, and none are here yet.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I have a pair of red breasted nuthatches who moved into my back yard as of about a week ago. They will winter with me and then go back from whence they came. I haven't had red breasted ones since the winter of 2008, though I have white breasted who live year round with me, and brown headed ones that show up intermittently.
I've only seen the red breasted and brown headed ones as pictures in my field guide. Lucky you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I also have seen a pileated woodpecker in my yard...No juncos yet. I usually have a yellow rumped warbler or two, pine warblers and pine siskins here for the winter, and none are here yet.
I think I saw a pileated woodpecker in State College this summer while walking a trail behind Penn State.

I've got to learn to recognize warblers and the pine siskins to figure out if I've seen them here or not.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I believe I had a yellow-rumped warbler in my yard last week as well.
Attachment 32586
This looks to me like a migrating kinglet (likely golden-crowned) as opposed to a yellow-rumped. The shape of the head, and amount of yellow on the underside are my biggest clues.

Anyone else want to confirm/deny?
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gardens, migrating, songbirds