Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
This looks to me like a migrating kinglet (likely golden-crowned) as opposed to a yellow-rumped. The shape of the head, and amount of yellow on the underside are my biggest clues.

Anyone else want to confirm/deny?
How are you doing post-Sandy?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
How are you doing post-Sandy?
We're pretty good. We lost power for about a day and a half Mon and Tues. We had no internet though until Sat morning (the first day I had to go to work, since my office was closed all week with no power). But while I was at work on Sat night my husband texted me to say we were without power again. It was just restored (hopefully for good) a couple hours ago. I think they had to shut it off on purpose to fix downed lines on another street.

We didn't suffer any damage so we really lucked out there. Can't say the same for lots of others... the damage around our neighborhood is awful, much less though than towns along the shores which dealt with severe storm surge and flooding.

The only issue we're left with now is the multiple hour long lines at gas stations. It's hard to tell when that situation will be normal again given SO many rumors spreading and false info. People are getting violent too... there have been shootings, stabbings, and other fights due to line-cutters, arguments, etc. It's just ridiculous down here right now.
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

I've got a friend and her husband staying with me from NJ.... their house is a raised ranch and they're gonna lose everything on the 1st floor. She's getting photos sent to her on her cell phone from her friends back home of what's going on and OMG!!! 1 of the photos she was sent was of the prices for gas at 1 of the only stations that's pumping. OMG again.... they're gouging those poor people.
--
I was figuring it was bad out your way since I remembered you were from Long Island. How are all your native plants doing out front by your door and back by your new pond>>>>? Did they have to sit under any water for any length of time? I know how hard you worked dolling up those areas and my heart's been sorta sinking for you and for willo. I remember back when I'd planted over 1000 native tree seedlings and we got hit with a 500 yr flood and then the worst drought in over 100 years and I lost all but maybe 25. It wasn't so much the cost of the seedlings.... it was the sweat labor that went into getting em in the ground only to lose half of them to drowning then pretty much the rest to a severe drought. They were just too stressed to make it through the drought after they'd been set back from being under water for a few weeks. I can honestly say I was devastated so I'm thrilled you're ok and it'll be the icing on the cake if your plants all make it.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Grub

There was no flooding near us whatsoever! We're towards to middle of the island and with the sandy soil the drainage is excellent. Also, LI was on the dry side of the storm, unlike NJ DE and MD; we maybe got 0.5in of rain.
The plants in the front butterfly garden are great - no damage. I even left the trellis out that has my Lonicera sempervirens attached to it. I was worried about my pond but the worst it suffered was getting filled with leaves. I cut back a lot of the plants surrounding it because the winds back there are worse than the front. I got lucky.

I appreciate your concern!

I don't want to lose track of the theme of this post though! I'd love to get input on that bird ID. I'll also share that I had a flock of siskens at my feeder last week and several yellow-rumped warblers coming through checking out my pond. I also saw a brown creeper one day and an eastern towhee at the pond!
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gardens, migrating, songbirds