Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Heron

Default 2012 waterfowl population survey report

Some encouraging numbers given the dry spring

2012 Status of Waterfowl Video Report | Flyways.us
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Really nice video. I was actually surprised learning our estimate was 7% higher than last year’s. Here’s a link, Home | Flyways.us. I was sorta discouraged reading this though, “The latest Migratory Bird Hunting Activity and Harvest Report has been released, reporting that over 14.7 million ducks were harvested in the United States in 2010, with an increase to 15.8 million ducks harvested in 2011. The number of harvested geese was over 3.1 million nationally in 2010, decreasing somewhat to over 2.8 million geese in 2011.” We could really use some Canada Goose relief.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
WG Facilitator

Send 'em down South - we'll take care of 'em for you! We rarely see those down here.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Really nice video. I was actually surprised learning our estimate was 7% higher than last year’s. Here’s a link, Home | Flyways.us. I was sorta discouraged reading this though, “The latest Migratory Bird Hunting Activity and Harvest Report has been released, reporting that over 14.7 million ducks were harvested in the United States in 2010, with an increase to 15.8 million ducks harvested in 2011. The number of harvested geese was over 3.1 million nationally in 2010, decreasing somewhat to over 2.8 million geese in 2011.” We could really use some Canada Goose relief.
The problem with resident Canada geese is not a lot of guys hunt them because 1. they tend to hang around with in city limits where hunting legally is a problem and 2. they eat grass all the time and taste like C
There is also a problem with a population explosion of snow geese that are destroying tundra nesting grounds and pushing out the migratory subspecies of Canada geese cause their populations to decline. Since it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between the different subspecies of Canada geese Federal lawmakers have to take into account the population size of the more vulnerable subspecies when setting season dates and bag limits for them. Around here the local munis and the division of wildlife do a pretty good job with addling permits and goose roundups. and the geese that are rounded up and Ahem released from their mortal coil are sent off the food pantrys to feed hungry families you may want to talk to your local municipalities about trying a program like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Send 'em down South - we'll take care of 'em for you! We rarely see those down here.
You don't want them trust me plus you guys get just about everything else down there we fatten up here and send them to you
Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
WG Facilitator

heeheehee Yep, when food sources freeze over, they come down here for lunch.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Our whole county is no discharge.... I keep wishing other states would give licenses away for FREE for just 1 year. We don't round up the geese around here either.... I wish they would.... plenty of food pantries that could use the meat but.... they don't. I didn't know they tasted like crap.... bummer. No way to mask the taste in a soup or stew?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Our whole county is no discharge.... I keep wishing other states would give licenses away for FREE for just 1 year. We don't round up the geese around here either.... I wish they would.... plenty of food pantries that could use the meat but.... they don't. I didn't know they tasted like crap.... bummer. No way to mask the taste in a soup or stew?
Soup or stew may be a good option though I'm not familiar with any recipies. I've heard some guys say they grind all the meat and make jerky but I have not tried any as of yet. Surprisingly a lot of waterfowl hunters don't like the taste of duck or goose because it's hard to cook the right way. I was watching Toni Bourdain hunting ducks with some fellows down in Arkansas or Missouri and they said they tried 100 different ways to cook duck but it still tasted awful. Well Toni being a chef just pan seared the breasts and sliced it on the byass and the duck hunters went bananas over it. Culinary ignorance is a big reason game meat isn't eaten any more.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

For duck and goose I've always just loaded em up with carraway and stuck em on a rotisserie. They're very fatty so you've got to drain the trays a few times while they're cooking. Nobody here ever complained and we use left overs for casseroles and sandwiches. Maybe it's all the grease folk are baking em in that's the turn off.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

I didn't grow up eating wild game, and the smell of it cooking is, well, peculiar compared to store-bought. It's really good in gumbo. So try soups and stews. Cooking for a long time with lots of other flavors. Also, try cooking it with whatever kind of smoked meat is available in your area.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Heron

I don't know if you were cooking wild or domestic ducks and geese but there is a clear difference in taste (at least I think so). Domestics are very tasty and fatty but wild fowl differ depending on species and what they have been eating. puddle ducks and geese coming down from Canada feeding on waste grain much better than resident geese eating fescue but still pretty fatty I think the fat harbors the taste of their diet.

Tags
2012, population, report, survey, waterfowl