Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Domestic duck and wild goose. I know the ducks are grain fed. I don't know where the geese come from. They're shot in the UP though.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
WG Facilitator

The taste of domestic and wild are drastically different. And I agree that the variety and/or diet makes a difference too.

Domestic duck or geese make the best gravy ever when cooked in the oven with nothing exotic - just regular steak or cajun seasoning. The wild ones could stand up to stronger seasonings. I want to try one with rosemary. I usually add smoke (usually sausage) when cooking something wild. I didn't grow up on wild game, and there's a little "off" taste I'd like to hide. I've never cooked with caraway, but I like rye bread. Does caraway cooked in meat give the same kind of taste?

If the fat has a taste you don't like, remove it. It's not that hard to "breast out" a duck. Remove the 2 sections of breast meat and the 2 teeny legs. There's not much meat left on the whole rest of the duck - making broth with it is about all it's good for. You'll have premium meat to prepare any way you want.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Domestic duck or geese make the best gravy ever when cooked in the oven with nothing exotic - just regular steak or cajun seasoning.
LOL what do people from cajun country consider "nothing exotic"? My SIL is from New Orleans and she cooks some really good "not exotic" food my nephews put jalapenos and Tabasco on their eggs in the morning for crying out loud.

Aging game meat sometimes helps get rid of the gamey flavor. let it sit in your refrigerator for 4-5 days before you cook it.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
LOL what do people from cajun country consider "nothing exotic"?
You have a point there - no mushrooms, artichoke hearts, nothing you'd have to make a point of adding to your shopping list.

The younger variety of male is likely to add hot sauce or peppers to everything. Dad would cook a hot pepper/garlic sauce that had a little body to it, a little on the thick side for a hot sauce. My son would pour it on top of his hamburgers. A green puddle on the meat patty.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #15
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
my nephews put jalapenos and Tabasco on their eggs in the morning for crying out loud.
I missed my cue - the proper response to this is:

Mais yeah!

(pronounced "maa" - kinda translates to "well yeah" or "of course".)

Tags
2012, population, report, survey, waterfowl