Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Again with the Tree Swallows! :(

Last year, I posted that my nesting pair of tree swallows abandoned their nest full of eggs. I was assured they would not have just abandoned them unless one of the pair had died.

This year, I had a pair pick a box and create a nest...at the same time another pair seemed to be hanging out with them (their young from last year, perhaps?). When I realized I had four or five tree swallows with no available boxes left, I set up another one. The second pair took to it quickly, feathered their nest, and laid eggs. After a week or so, of seeing the female on the nest, I stopped seeing any activity (from both nests). Now, at least a month or more later, I was removing the nest from the bluebird's box since their second brood has fledged (leaving two unviable eggs--that makes 8 fledgelings total so far this year) and decided to remove the one from the tree swallow's box as well.

I'm certain it has been more than a month with no sign of the parents, but just to be sure, I thought I'd double check here before removing the nest.

Here are some pictures from today:

Again with the Tree Swallows! :(-dsc06636.jpg
The unviable eggs left after the fledglings left the nest.

Again with the Tree Swallows! :(-dsc06637.jpg
Tree swallow nest.

Again with the Tree Swallows! :(-dsc06639.jpg
Tree swallow eggs.

Again with the Tree Swallows! :(-dsc06642.jpg
Attractive feather...anyone know what kind of bird it is from?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Heron

Not sure about the feather in the last pic but the barred on in the second pic looks like a wood duck flank feather.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I've never seen a tree swallow nest, they really do feather their nests don't they! Sorry I can't help you with the feather ID, it is cool though.

I meant to ask about the first photo and posted it on my bluebird thread by mistake, but the bluebird eggs looks speckled with brown, is this normal?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Not sure about the feather in the last pic but the barred on in the second pic looks like a wood duck flank feather.
Thanks, recurve. What a cool idea I've stumbled upon...finding out what local species of birds are around based on feathers collected by tree swallows!

It is nice to think that there are wood ducks around here; since I've only seen pictures of them, they seem like a rare species to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I've never seen a tree swallow nest, they really do feather their nests don't they! Sorry I can't help you with the feather ID, it is cool though.

I meant to ask about the first photo and posted it on my bluebird thread by mistake, but the bluebird eggs looks speckled with brown, is this normal?
I saw that first and jumped over here when I realized I hadn't posted pics in hat thread.

To answer your question, they are not the pristine eggs they started out to be...seems they got a bit dirty from the babies that did hatch.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Found a young tree swallow on the ground acting in a suspicious way. Upon inspection I see it's been mauled.
I highly suspect it was the neighbors CAT as some of it's wing feathers were missing with a bit of blood where they once were.

Not knowing what to do about it I did a little research on how to care for it till i'ts feathers regrew. http://www.treeswallowprojects.com/f...y_Care_doc.pdf

Who would have known it would need feeding and hydration so often. Not knowing if I could even get mealworms I decided to put it back into it's nest box as if I had left it on the ground, the cat would have surely gotten it tonight while making it's rounds.

I HOPE I did the right thing and it chirps some so she can find him. I think that was-is the only chance he's got.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Found a young tree swallow on the ground acting in a suspicious way. Upon inspection I see it's been mauled.
I highly suspect it was the neighbors CAT as some of it's wing feathers were missing with a bit of blood where they once were.

Not knowing what to do about it I did a little research on how to care for it till i'ts feathers regrew. http://www.treeswallowprojects.com/f...y_Care_doc.pdf

Who would have known it would need feeding and hydration so often. Not knowing if I could even get mealworms I decided to put it back into it's nest box as if I had left it on the ground, the cat would have surely gotten it tonight while making it's rounds.

I HOPE I did the right thing and it chirps some so she can find him. I think that was-is the only chance he's got.

I feel for you. Hard to deal with this kind of thing. If there is no wildlife rehab place near you to ask or to care for it, perhaps this is best.

However, I recall hearing it reading that infection after a cat attack could be an issue. (Not meaning to make you worry.)

I hope this has a happy ending.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Upon my return home I checked the box and found.....No body.
I'd like to think he recuperated enough to fledge once again to live on.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Upon my return home I checked the box and found.....No body.
I'd like to think he recuperated enough to fledge once again to live on.
I hope so, too.

I always assume the best unless evidence to the contrary proves me wrong.

Tags
swallows, tree