Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Salamander

I need to update. We ended up having a total of five little babies. But the next day one kept falling out. It was one time of putting it back in, I noticed a fifth.

We do not know why the one kept falling. My husband ended up building a platform thingie so if any fell out, they'd fall closer to the nest. (We lost track of how many times we put the little bird back.) The parents hesitated a few moments, but got used to it. And one fell out of the nest, again, but landed on the platform. We thought all was well, seeing the parents feed it, but before bed, we noticed it on the porch floor. By this time the pillows were no longer under the nest since we felt the platform was enough, so it took a hard fall. It died by the next morning.

So we lost one...

The other four did well as far as we know and one hung out on the platform several days. The parents fed it there without any issues and the others still in the nest. They all left the nest the 11th. Two in the morning and the other two while we were away that day.

I put together an album of this little family, if any is interested in looking at it. I still need to get a few pictures on there after they are edited.
Barn Swallow Family 2012
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great photos Birding Bunch. I'm sure I'll not be the only one interested in viewing them.

Sorry you lost one, but you went above and beyond trying to keep it safe.

Thank you so much for sharing. I really love barn swallows.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
After five years of trying, a pair of Barn Swallows has succeeded in hatching eggs on our front porch. We've avoided the front yard like the plague and this has done wonders for the little birds. Too bad the parents were not very territorial when those Butcher's Choice meat salesmen came by. Thankfully, the Swallow came back shortly after the intruders left.

Here's a couple pictures. One as they were nest building and the second one is when this one was off-duty from nest sitting. They took turns every few minutes and one really liked this spot right outside the window. I hope to get pictures before they fledge, but if not, that's ok, I want to minimize stress on the birds.

The pasture is still unmowed, so we have Bobolinks, Meadowlarks, Red-wingeds and whatever else in there. That's been a real joy to hear their songs every morning.
You are so lucky that you got to observe their nest and to help the little ones. So sorry you lost one.

I love, love, love barn swallows! I tell my students every year that I want to be a barn swallow in my next life. It always makes them smile!

You are so lucky to have Bobolinks! They make the coolest sounds, don't they? I saw them for the first time last spring in NE PA.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Your photos are wonderful. I had to smile when I saw the platform you guys built to protect the young. What wonderful people you are.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
Salamander

Thank you so much for the compliments.

If any are curious, the blue stripes are bird tape we put up to prevent window strikes. We lost a Warbler this spring, so our old window clings were no longer effective.

With all the stuff we do for the birds. we suspect we're the "crazy bird people" to our few neighbors.

Bridget, The Bobolinks were such a joy to have! I am glad we were able to have a place for them. Within days of their last song, we started hearing a Bobwhite. He sang about a week, moving from spot to spot. I don't know if he moved on, or if he found a mate. I heard they are silent once they are paired up. Now it's a mystery.... is he still here?
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babies, baby, baby birds, barn, bird, bird nest, birdnest, birds barn swallows, build, building, nest building, swallow, swallows