Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
They are from the Coast along CT. I've just been happy with whatever I stumble across, but eventually I do plan to figure out how to properly bird the coastal areas of CT/RI. Being from the midwest, it's been a real treat to be able to visit these areas.
I may be making a day trip to CT soon...nit sure I'll have time, but can you suggest ome natural areas to visit?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Mentor

There are a number of good areas I am familiar with, what would you most like to see?
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #13

Quote:
There are a number of good areas I am familiar with, what would you most like to see?
If things go as planned, I will be near Winsted. I guess I'm thinking of any natural areas...surprise me.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Mentor

Interior, Shannon Audubon Center or White Memorial (can also use an inflatable boat at White Memorial if you get tired of hiking). They have staff to answer any questions. Nepaug, American legion, and People's forests will all be close but get detailed directions in advance. Coastal,you could rent a kayak and put in at Charles Wheeler Marsh or Long River. I know I saw a public access point on a dead end road in Milford, I believe it was Court St. There's no sign for it until you reach the very end of the road. Audubon Coastal Center also has a kayak tour but I can't say if it's worthwhile or not. These guys are another kayak provider but again can't say one way or the other Kayak tours. I would consider going down East River. You could also put in an inflatable at the Audubon Guilford Salt Meadow Marsh. Tunxis State Forest would be another place for hiking as would Mt. Tom.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Interior, Shannon Audubon Center or White Memorial (can also use an inflatable boat at White Memorial if you get tired of hiking). They have staff to answer any questions. Nepaug, American legion, and People's forests will all be close but get detailed directions in advance. Coastal,you could rent a kayak and put in at Charles Wheeler Marsh or Long River...
Thank you for the suggestions, midwesternerr. I doubt I'll have much time to actually do anything, but at least I can try.

Tags
birds, coast, coastal birds, common tern, edge, marsh, oystercatcher, pipping plover, random, sterna hirundo, water, waters