Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #41
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
Dapjwy, I thought of you this morning when I saw a fledgling oriole at our "pond"!!!! The male & female have been hanging around all spring, often just coming to our yard for the water, but it was so cool to see when they brought a fledgling! I hope you get to see one soon, if you add water you'll be surprised all the birds that will come, it really does draw them in.
Thanks for sharing, BeeW.

Congrats on your fledgling orioles debut. I saw another adult not half a mile from my home. I was waking and seemed to have startled it, but I couldn't figure out what had its interest there on the side of the road.

"Just add Water"...I think I have a title for a future blog entry; after my pond is ready for the unveiling, I can use that title to document what comes to visit...and what comes to stay! (Now I'm thinking frogs! ...and learning to recognize the tree frog chorus.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #42
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I can thank the redstart for getting me to start too.

This whole conversation and my desire to draw the birds in closer to me while providing one of their necessities for life got me started, but there was something about your comments combined with everything else that got me to go back to my watergarden project. For that, I thank you.

It is, unfortunately, not ready for an unveiling yet.
A grand moment in the making....I can't wait!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
A grand moment in the making....I can't wait!
The reality that what I'm really working with doesn't match what is in my head is setting in...so, I'm trouble-shooting, and, even though it is far from complete, it has promise.

I hope to have a couple sneak peaks posted soon (meaning "tomorrow").
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto

Last edited by dapjwy; 06-15-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #44

Quote:
I hope you get to see one soon, if you add water you'll be surprised all the birds that will come, it really does draw them in.
~big goofy grin~ Guess what I did see today after reading your comment? That's right, an oriole right in my own backyard!

I was walking back to grab something when I saw one fly off--I can't be sure it was at the water, but it might have been checking it out when I disturbed it. Of course, I had no camera with me at the time. However, going through the pictures I took today, I was shocked to see this in one of my shots (I'm sure I had pulled the "what is that bird in the distance" zoom trick...but had no idea I had this until I just went through the pictures now! I must really need new glasses!)

This has been cropped from the original...oh, and this is another dead elm, right on the border of the property line.
Attached Thumbnails
Any Ideas?-dsc03751-crop.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #45
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oh how exciting!
I've seen a few here but I've yet to draw one to an orange. Just not enough trees and cover to feel safe I guess.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Oh how exciting!
I've seen a few here but I've yet to draw one to an orange. Just not enough trees and cover to feel safe I guess.
I guess I should put out half an orange now that I know that their around.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #47
Heron

Quote:
~big goofy grin~ Guess what I did see today after reading your comment? That's right, an oriole right in my own backyard!

I was walking back to grab something when I saw one fly off--I can't be sure it was at the water, but it might have been checking it out when I disturbed it. Of course, I had no camera with me at the time. However, going through the pictures I took today, I was shocked to see this in one of my shots (I'm sure I had pulled the "what is that bird in the distance" zoom trick...but had no idea I had this until I just went through the pictures now! I must really need new glasses!)

This has been cropped from the original...oh, and this is another dead elm, right on the border of the property line.
Wonderful shot! Congratulations! The orioles have found your spot & they like what they've found ... and isn't that the joy of wildlife gardening?
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Wonderful shot! Congratulations! The orioles have found your spot & they like what they've found ... and isn't that the joy of wildlife gardening?
It was wonderfully lucky that I got that shot.

Yes, it is one of the many joys.

I'm glad they like what they found.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #49
Grub

Quote:

Great shot, dap!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercarver View Post
Great shot, dap!
Thanks.

Tags
american redstart, bird, bird call, bird id, bird songs, bird sound, bird species, bird watching, birds, call, cedar waxwings, female, ideas, identification, identify, redstarts, song, sound, watching, waxwings