Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #31
Grub

Quote:
I owe you another "Thank you"...what for? It is a secret (for now).
I'm very impatient when it comes to secrets! Can't wait to hear what you've got going on
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #32
Grub

Quote:
Maybe that would make good winter reading (when I don't have so many other things to do).
They are audio CDs, so you can listen to them in the car, while doing yardwork via headphones... just about anywhere! The one suggestion I have though is that it is best to listen when that's the only thing you're doing, because you do have to pay close attention. I was "lucky" enough to have months of down time on the couch while recovering from my broken ankle. I should say I was lucky enough to discover these CDs while I had lots of down time. But it's all broken up into small groups of similar sounding birds - each track is only 5-10 minutes long and you can just do one at a time.

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if I'm not a true birder.
I think there are several levels, and styles, of birding. I'm not one of those people who will travel 100+ miles to see a rare bird, but I certainly know some of them! I also know a lot of "backyard birders". The fact that you care about birds, and want to learn more about them is what in my mind makes you a true birder.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #33
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
They are audio CDs, so you can listen to them in the car, while doing yardwork via headphones... just about anywhere! The one suggestion I have though is that it is best to listen when that's the only thing you're doing, because you do have to pay close attention. I was "lucky" enough to have months of down time on the couch while recovering from my broken ankle. I should say I was lucky enough to discover these CDs while I had lots of down time. But it's all broken up into small groups of similar sounding birds - each track is only 5-10 minutes long and you can just do one at a time.

I think there are several levels, and styles, of birding. I'm not one of those people who will travel 100+ miles to see a rare bird, but I certainly know some of them! I also know a lot of "backyard birders". The fact that you care about birds, and want to learn more about them is what in my mind makes you a true birder.
The CDs I've used for years are the Stokes Guides(eastern region, of course 3cds. My girls love to listen to them too. Especially the owl calls. It's great learning. I've been a birder since I was small but I chose my other interests when I was in school. Now I regret that. It's funny that my younger sister was the one of us who continued on with biology and is now finishing up her Ph.d. in wildlife biology studying exactly that---birds! Go figure....I'm "just" the backyard birder now...she's the "expert"...lol
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
They are audio CDs...
I guess I should have opened the link.

I thought I could always go back when I had more time.

Quote:
I was "lucky" enough to have months of down time on the couch while recovering from my broken ankle. I should say I was lucky enough to discover these CDs while I had lots of down time. But it's all broken up into small groups of similar sounding birds - each track is only 5-10 minutes long and you can just do one at a time.
Sounds like something I can do in the car, I like that.

I also like your rephrasing of being lucky.

Quote:

Well, I'm definitely some kind of birder...just not the travel to see a rare bird kind either, I guess. I'm enjoying what I've been doing...and will enjoy it more if I can--somehow--draw them in closer.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
The CDs I've used for years are the Stokes Guides(eastern region, of course 3cds. My girls love to listen to them too. Especially the owl calls. It's great learning. I've been a birder since I was small but I chose my other interests when I was in school. Now I regret that. It's funny that my younger sister was the one of us who continued on with biology and is now finishing up her Ph.d. in wildlife biology studying exactly that---birds! Go figure....I'm "just" the backyard birder now...she's the "expert"...lol
I could look into those too...someday. Yup, Easter region is the way to go for me too.

At least you can pick her brain if you so desire...and you have that interest in common.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #36

Quote:
I'm very impatient when it comes to secrets! Can't wait to hear what you've got going on
I'd ask you to guess, but it might not be fair since you said you wouldn't bring it up again.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #37
Grub

Quote:
I'd ask you to guess, but it might not be fair since you said you wouldn't bring it up again.
I had a feeling that's what it was about, but I can't imagine why you'd thank me. What did I do?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #38

Quote:
I had a feeling that's what it was about, but I can't imagine why you'd thank me. What did I do?
I can thank the redstart for getting me to start too.

This whole conversation and my desire to draw the birds in closer to me while providing one of their necessities for life got me started, but there was something about your comments combined with everything else that got me to go back to my watergarden project. For that, I thank you.

It is, unfortunately, not ready for an unveiling yet.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #39
Heron

Dapjwy, I thought of you this morning when I saw a fledgling oriole at our "pond"!!!! The male & female have been hanging around all spring, often just coming to our yard for the water, but it was so cool to see when they brought a fledgling! I hope you get to see one soon, if you add water you'll be surprised all the birds that will come, it really does draw them in.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #40
Grub

Well, you're welcome!

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we can't wait to see it unveiled! Take your time (but not too much time )! I hope it turns out just the way you want it.

Tags
american redstart, bird, bird call, bird id, bird songs, bird sound, bird species, bird watching, birds, call, cedar waxwings, female, ideas, identification, identify, redstarts, song, sound, watching, waxwings