Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
You might be on to something with that juvenile male redstart. Congrats on seeing a new bird!
I had a palm warbler come to my new pond during migration - I was floored! As if you needed any more incentive to build it, you'll definitely see tons of things you wouldn't otherwise!
Isn't it wonderful that we can take such joy in something that many people never notice?

I know I don't need any more incentive--I can't believe I've put it off so long--I don't think I realize what a difference it will make. Once it is done I'll wonder what took me so long.

I think wanting to make it "perfect" has held me back. I had a plan, but not all of the materials (rocks of the right sizes and look)...then advice from various folk made me question my plan. In my head, I've been trying to incorporate the advice without losing my original vision. I finally realized that I will have to just do it and make adjustments as I go.

Honestly, I didn't plan on bringing up the water feature here again until I'd finished the first stage and had pictures to show for it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Google Image Result for http://sdakotabirds.com/species/maps/american_redstart_map_small.jpg

Appears like it to me....One I've never seen in the area although the chart above shows they are!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
Grub

I totally understand about the water feature, and I won't mention it again.

I did however do some searching for juvenile male redstarts and found this:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v108n04/p0872-p0879.pdf
Quote:
In their first potential breeding season, the plumage of
young males is very similar to that of adult
females. In spite of their appearance, these males
are sexually mature, and some establish territories,
mate, and fledge young (Bent 1953, Ficken
and Ficken 1967, Procter-Gray and Holmes
1981). Males attain bright orange and black definitive
plumage in the subsequent (second)
prebasic molt (Dwight 1900, Rohwer et al. 1983).
When I Google Image searched juvenile male american redstart, there were several female-looking birds with that black spot on the chest. I now feel entirely comfortable with this being a 1st year male redstart, something I've never seen, or knew about until now.

Thanks for sharing!
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Heron

Dapjwy, the redstart song is very clear and they sing a lot. We were camping last weekend and in the morning the redstarts were singing in the treetops, repeatedly. Then we saw the male flitting about in the sugar maple above our tent, we watched him for a while through binoculars. Have you heard their song in your trees? American Redstart, Sounds, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Then you'd know for sure.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #15

Quote:
I totally understand about the water feature, and I won't mention it again.
Hopefully *I'll* be mentioning again before too long. ~eye twinkle~

Quote:
I
I did however do some searching for juvenile male redstarts and found this:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v108n04/p0872-p0879.pdf
When I Google Image searched juvenile male american redstart, there were several female-looking birds with that black spot on the chest. I now feel entirely comfortable with this being a 1st year male redstart, something I've never seen, or knew about until now.
Thanks, disuhan. It was new to me too....and I feel confident now that it is a young male American redstart as well. Yay! A "new-to-me" bird...and a very attractive one at that. I can't believe the excitement I feel surging in me again...all of this over a bird. ~smile~

Quote:
Thanks for sharing!
I guess that goes to show, even a blurry picture can be worth sharing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
Dapjwy, the redstart song is very clear and they sing a lot. We were camping last weekend and in the morning the redstarts were singing in the treetops, repeatedly. Then we saw the male flitting about in the sugar maple above our tent, we watched him for a while through binoculars. Have you heard their song in your trees? American Redstart, Sounds, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Then you'd know for sure.
What a great experience...thank you for sharing. I guess you've been familiar with the redstart for quite some time.

I'm not so great with birdsongs...unless it is pretty distinctive, I don't think I recognize very many at all. I should look into them more.

Thanks for the link...the songs were much clearer on this site than the other site I tried. I can't be sure, but I'd have to say that the third one that they seem to call
Quote:
"tsee, tsee, tsee, tsee, tsway."
does sound rather familiar.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #17

Today I walked 4 miles--2 miles out from my home then turned around and came back (too bad there isn't a loop I could make...or less busy roads, but I digress). On the way back, I spotted an oriole along the side of the road. I'm still not sure which bird I saw chasing off the crow, the redstart or an oriole. It all happened so fast...and being that I never knew about the redstart, I wonder if I mistook it for an oriole, but they really don't look that much alike (unless they are flying viewed from the back, then they do...at least to me).

Anyway, it appears both species are around, so that is good.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I think it is a redstart! Yay!

I'm getting really excited...not only because I've spotted a bird, I've never seen before (nor even heard of), but also because I will likely see many other species I may have only seen pictured in field guides. The more I improve our habitat, the more diversity I expect to see--and document.

I really have to get a water feature established so that I can see birds that don't come to feeders...then I'll have a good idea of what we already have...and see what else I can attract!

That's exceptional! As I understand it, Redstarts are getting rarer, and I have never seen one...they certainly need all the help they can get. One of those rewards for years of diligent habitat work!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
That's exceptional! As I understand it, Redstarts are getting rarer, and I have never seen one...they certainly need all the help they can get. One of those rewards for years of diligent habitat work!
From what I read, it sounds like there might be a slight decline. Hopefully we can reverse that.

Thanks, I've only been at this for 3 1/2 years (on our current property...before that my natives were all in pots--er I mean they were a "container garden"). I think in the next couple of years things I planted ealier will really start to take off...then, if I ever get my meadow planted (I'm starting to think about buying a seed mix of PA ecotype seeds...and make my own custom mix...lots of grasses (especially little bluestem), and then a good bit of wildflowers too) that should help a LOT!

Thanks for the cheer!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #20

Default Let's Try Another One...

...Well, another two. I took these the same day...from even more of a distance. These are not clear either, and I have an idea what they could be, but I'd love to get your opinions as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Any Ideas?-dsc03300.jpg   Any Ideas?-dsc03300-extreme-crop.jpg   Any Ideas?-dsc03300-extreme-crop-2.jpg  

Tags
american redstart, bird, bird call, bird id, bird songs, bird sound, bird species, bird watching, birds, call, cedar waxwings, female, ideas, identification, identify, redstarts, song, sound, watching, waxwings