Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Anyway, getting back to the theme of the thread, I saw a male ruby throat twice in the past two days! (and quite close up too) That is more sightings than I probably saw all last year.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Salamander

OK, I am kicking myself. Really. I have not been active here for a little bit, so am trying to go through some of my older posts to reply. And well, I just looked up "Loncinera sempervirens" and I HAD ONE! The year I planted it, a nameless family member of my husband said they are a bad plant to have. So last year, I dug it out, even though we spent good money on it.

I just want to cry now. (Deleted a long drawn out rant about said family member).

I will look into the jewelweed, that sounds like a keeper and I'll have to decide if I want to put another honeysuckle in.

We are keeping the feeder up and had a lone male last week.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #23
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
OK, I am kicking myself. Really. I have not been active here for a little bit, so am trying to go through some of my older posts to reply. And well, I just looked up "Loncinera sempervirens" and I HAD ONE! The year I planted it, a nameless family member of my husband said they are a bad plant to have. So last year, I dug it out, even though we spent good money on it.

I just want to cry now. (Deleted a long drawn out rant about said family member).

I will look into the jewelweed, that sounds like a keeper and I'll have to decide if I want to put another honeysuckle in.

We are keeping the feeder up and had a lone male last week.
That is terrible! Sorry you removed a native....there are invasive honeysuckles; are you sure you didn't have one of those? (I'm pretty ure you didn't, just hoping that's all.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
WG Fundraising Coordinator

birding bunch, I'm curious if your hummingbirds have returned, perhaps with a family? I only had one or two males early on and now I've seen many females as well. I'm assuming we have a family or two nearby. I understand they don't stray too far away from the nest but I've never seen one.

Our hummingbirds arrive in April and leave in September so I try to plant things they like to cover the season. Any tubular flower will do. Right now in high summer monarda and phlox are some they like, even small flowered plants like clethra and liatris although I can't imagine they get much nectar from each tiny flower. Lonicera sempervirens is still blooming away here and they are the favorite. Still I keep one feeder to make sure they have enough food, the mother instinct in me I guess! It's next to the honeysuckle. I did plant another honeysuckle this year to handle the overflow and that way nobody gets territorial over "their" vine.

Here's a good website on ruby-throated hummingbirds.
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (Archilochus colubris)
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #25
Salamander

I wish we got humming birds. I think its too developed the city where we live.. But we get bumblebees,sliver spotted skippers, grass skippers, monarchs, swallowtails, blue butterflies, wasps.. native forager bees, flies. ect.

That being said I have plenty of host plants for hummies. Cardinal flower/ cloumbine/ bush honeysuckle.
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Sounds like you are doing all the right things Alex. Perhaps one day they will come!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
Salamander

purhaps/ we do have some parire/woodland land that has been restored by the railroad tracks. I'm pretty much the only one in my neighborhood that uses all natives.
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #28
Carbon

Oh that is my goal! Flowers, shrubs and plants that they love instead of cane sugar water.
I am learning about guilds and food forest-permaculture! Loving to go that way and so will all the wildlife.
Bamagrammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #29
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Hey there Bamagrammy
WELCOME TO Wildlife gardeners
Perhaps you'c like to introduce yourself Here: http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...urself-please/

Tell us a little about yourself,where you're from,your goals, triumphs, and failures, Perhaps what you'd like to learn or share with us. We're here to lead and guide you if at alll possible.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird feeder, birds, clethra, disappearing, feeder, honeysuckle, hummers, hummies, hummingbird, hummingbirds, liatris, monarda, native plants, plants