Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Beautiful, Bee!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #22

chickadee

Today I saw one of the dees come back to the house. Wondering if it's thinking of re-using the box for another brood? I was worried that the house would have gotten too hot before, but now the temps are even higher! Hope it makes a nest in the woods with some shade!

~Baby Black-capped Chickadees Fledge~-p1210618ed.jpg
Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Today I saw one of the dees come back to the house. Wondering if it's thinking of re-using the box for another brood? I was worried that the house would have gotten too hot before, but now the temps are even higher! Hope it makes a nest in the woods with some shade!

Attachment 30631
Cute little chickadee.

My chickadees fledged...all seven, but I was not around to witness it. I've been meaning to ask for some weeks now what to do withe te old nest. Withe the bluebirds, I remove it, clean the box withe water and bleach solution, then let them start anew. This box opens from the top and isn't as easy to clean...also the nest looks fine as the adults removed all fecal sacs. The odd thing was, after they fledged, there were two unmatched eggs on the bottom...I wasn't sure if they were newly laid or unmatched from the first brood...but the next day I looked, they were gone.

Anyway, keep us posted on what they do...if they use the box again, let's hope they know what they are doing and the heat is not an issue.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #24

Since it was not meant to be a real birdhouse, but now has been used the past three years by wrens, then the dees, I just asked permission from the neighbor who put it up, to take it down for cleaning and repair. They said yes. They also said yes to putting up real birdhouses, but Sam isn't ambulatory Now.
I guess we'll have to stop at Wild Wings and check my latest issue of Audubon for info as I'm pretty much flying in the dark here!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

Whoever Sam is..... he's gonna be 1 happy camper if you can drum up some activity on his balcony for him. You've got a good heart sage!!! New digs for the wrens and chickadees and.... eye candy for Sam!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #26

Lib, Sam lives on the ground floor. He used to have feeders up but then couldn't walk out to them in the winter. Roger would go out and fill them but them we started going to Florida.

Sam has the eye candy now though! I didn't get the little house down and cleaned in time because today I saw the dee happily flying in get the box ready for another brood!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
Salamander

Darling Chickadees. That's a bird we do not get here, but they're getting closer!!! I heard one singing when I was outside our place some weeks ago. I tried whistling back, as lame as my whistle is, but it was like it answered. Or more than likely, it just happened to sing again.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
Darling Chickadees. That's a bird we do not get here, but they're getting closer!!! I heard one singing when I was outside our place some weeks ago. I tried whistling back, as lame as my whistle is, but it was like it answered. Or more than likely, it just happened to sing again.
I suspect it answered. I've done that since I was a kid--mimicked bird songs. I remember my mom or dad telling me I was talking to the birds. I must've been about 5 or 6 at the time.

Just a week or so ago, I was chattering back at the catbird...and often mimick the call (however poorly) of whatever I hear...whether I can recognize it or not (usually not).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babay birds, baby, birdhouse, birds, blackcapped, chickadee, chickadees, eggs, fledge, fledged, fledglings, nest, nesting, pictures, video