Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
dap, how did you get a count?
I counted the eggs.

Then, I counted the beaks in a picture I took.

Today, I took another picture, and counted EIGHT birds--I think one is the mother.
Attached Thumbnails
~Baby Black-capped Chickadees Fledge~-dsc00043.jpg   ~Baby Black-capped Chickadees Fledge~-downsized_0531121604b.jpg   ~Baby Black-capped Chickadees Fledge~-downsized_0606121634b.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #12

I just did an image search to make sure I posted the right eggs...and I came across this:

Google Image Result for http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_gdOIF2kZYA/T30KUgsUFYI/AAAAAAAABIU/ddT_jZtg_jc/s1600/easter%2Begg%2Bchickadees.jpg

I'm sure it would fit better in a different thread, but I couldn't resist sharing it. (Cute, but I doubt I'd ever make them.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Awwww to your babies!!! I'm thinking of having my husband cut out a chunk of the wood in the back of the standing birdhouse ours were in and replacing it with a piece of plexiglass so we'd be able to get peeks!!
--
Another awww to the deviled eggs. I've never seen that before. How cute is that!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Awwww to your babies!!! I'm thinking of having my husband cut out a chunk of the wood in the back of the standing birdhouse ours were in and replacing it with a piece of plexiglass so we'd be able to get peeks!!
--
Another awww to the deviled eggs. I've never seen that before. How cute is that!!!
I checked on the babies again...they still haven't fledged. So, maybe I could still get some photos or videos.

I like the plexiglass idea, but make sure to cover it back up with a removeable panel too keep them cozy....and preventing too much light...or heating up from the greenhouse effect.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

That's a good idea. I was thinking that with where it was on our patio that just plexi glass would be ok. It's backed up to the side of our house and wouldn't get any direct sun but.... better safe than sorry!!! I'll go with a solid panel instead of plexi glass!!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #16

Quote:
That's a good idea. I was thinking that with where it was on our patio that just plexi glass would be ok. It's backed up to the side of our house and wouldn't get any direct sun but.... better safe than sorry!!! I'll go with a solid panel instead of plexi glass!!
I was thinking that plexiglass *and* a removeable panel...but I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #17
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Fitting a cam to a nestbox prior to its being used is one way to watch without risk to nest. Nesting boxes or sites should ever be disturbed by us as much as we want to know what's going on inside.
This is especially important when the eggs are being incubated or the babies being brooded, as the mama bird could abandon the nest if she feels threatened.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

My nest box is too small for a video cam and.... I'm too cheap to buy 1 anyway. It must look bigger than it really is in my photo. I really want a few peeks real bad and I will need to clean it out. I never thought in a million years it'd actually be used for anything but an ornamental plant stand or I would have put an access panel on it already.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
My nest box is too small for a video cam and.... I'm too cheap to buy 1 anyway. It must look bigger than it really is in my photo. I really want a few peeks real bad and I will need to clean it out. I never thought in a million years it'd actually be used for anything but an ornamental plant stand or I would have put an access panel on it already.
They really aren't expensive, but Roger too, didn't want to get one. I want to mount one on the balcony railing next year, then I can aim it where I want during fledge time.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
Heron

Here's our chickadee family at the feeder out the window. The parents feed the unhulled sunflower seeds to the young ones. The children love to watch out the window. It's nice that these birds are so inquisitive. Our windows are open all summer, and there's lots of noise coming from inside the house, but the birds are not afraid to come to the window feeder. I'm glad they managed to have babies despite the house wrens that nest in our vicinity every summer. The chickadees are our companions throughout the long winter, we love these birds!
Attached Thumbnails
~Baby Black-capped Chickadees Fledge~-chickadees-feeder.jpg  
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babay birds, baby, birdhouse, birds, blackcapped, chickadee, chickadees, eggs, fledge, fledged, fledglings, nest, nesting, pictures, video