Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

View Poll Results: When will linrose’s raccoon figure out how to get around the spring mechanism?
By tomorrow morning 2 14.29%
Within a week 7 50.00%
Within a month 5 35.71%
By the end of the gardening season 0 0%
Never 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

raccoon Raccoon-proof birdfeeder?

Does such a thing exist? I've been finding our squirrel-proof birdfeeder on the ground every morning. The first time I saw the raccoon it was shimmying up the shepherd's hook, bypassing the squirrel guard cone, and clambering onto the feeder, bending the hook over until the feeder fell off and onto the ground. Then I moved the feeder back to the tree by the deck but of course the raccoon just climbed the tree and knocked the feeder off the hook it was on and onto the ground again. Then I attached a chain to the feeder and the tree limb and today I found the chain broken and the feeder lying on the ground - again. Granted it was a wimpy chain, the kind you get with suet cages but I had to make do with what I had.

Should I try a stronger chain or does anyone have any suggestions for me?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

You could try greasing the shepherd's hook. I've tried that and it works for a while keeping squirrels off if you oil it up real good. Landscape pole and very large baffle for a long term solution otherwise you'll be sharing with coons indefinitely.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
WG Operations, Facilitator

linrose...Sorry for your bird feeder invader woes, but I must say that I was thoroughly entertained with your description of those clever raccoons. LOL!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #4

OK, now I've implemented Plan B. I took a heavier chain, covered it with plastic tubing to protect the tree limb, and attached a small caribiner to a link. Now I can unclip the caribiner when I need to fill the feeder. So far it's working. If that raccoon can figure out how to get around the spring mechanism that shuts the feeding ports then I guess he's welcome to whatever seeds he can get! I'm pretty sure they are smarter than squirrels.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhh.... a Plan B.
--
You don't seem to be a "touchy" person and well.... I do like to poke sport at just about everything since my plan Bs usually send me back to the drawing board for a plan C or D so I'm hoping you're ok with a little guessing game?
--
Here's the game.... we all get to guess how long it'll take your coon to figure out how to get around the spring mechanism!!!
--
Within the week.
Within the month.
By the end of the gardening season.
Never
--
My bet's on within the month. They're persistent lil buggers!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #6

That's probably a fair guess! I'll up you one and go within the week!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
WG Operations, Facilitator

I think Linrose's raccoons are smarter than the average raccoon.

I give them 1 day to figure out the mechanics, another day to calculate the leverage and physics. 2 days to perform the calculus equations to overcome the obstacles, and a final day to put their theories to the test.

So 5 days tops!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #8

Now who put that poll up?????

If I could remember high school physics and calculus perhaps I could be smarter than this raccoon!

5 days tops 4B? Wow you are the most pessimistic (for humans) or optimistic (for the raccoons) than both of us so far.

I'll take a photo of my Plan B solution to help make a more accurate decision on timing.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #9

Here's the Plan B solution, whaddya think???
Attached Thumbnails
Raccoon-proof birdfeeder?-birdfeeder-attachment.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

I'm pretty sure I know who did the poll.... go to the home page and click on where it says we can see the poll results and it shows how folk voted.... there's a name there that'll sorta stand out.
--
Er uh.... plan B looks great!!! It'll be awesome seeing photos of coons hanging upside down reaching for the feeder with their cute lil hands!!!

Tags
baffle, bird, bird feeder, birdfeeder, birds, coons, feeder, feeding birds, grease, pest control, proof, raccoon, raccoon proof, raccoonproof