Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default indigo Bunting song

So pretty!

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I've only seen 1 by me in 10 years. They are really something!!! Do you ever get them by you?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

I have not seen one lately but when we lived closer to the lake the indigo bunting was a regular vistor each summer. The first time I was still using bird feeders and just beginning to get into gardening in a more natural style. Thought it was someone's escaped pet. But a friend knew what it was and said it was not uncommon. You would be surprised what flies through Chicago.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Chicago's a flyway.... I wouldn't be surprised but I'd sure like to be able to get there at the right time to see something tasty!!! Bad news is if I didn't have bad luck with my timing... I wouldn't have any luck at all. Take some photos for me if you ever get to see another 1. This bird and the Painted Bunting are probably the birds I'd love seeing the most in my backyard so I LOVED the video clip.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Heron

Just yesterday my husband and I spotted a nesting pair of indigo buntings in a shrubby field at a nearby park/woods. We watching them for quite a while. The female was flitting about gathering small twigs. The male's colors were so bright. It was a joy to watch them. It's the first time I've seen a breeding pair around here.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Salamander

How wonderful... most of what we get around here are those Horrid house sparrows. I brought in some natives, eastern wahoo, and black cohosh, p[rovide bird food. to help but it'll take years sadly.
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird call, bird song, birds, blue, bunting, indigo, indigo bunting, song, sound clip