Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #81
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Cute! It tells a story, thanks dap!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #82
Official Plant Nerd

Last Sunday I was picking up some "filler" plants and was checking out and a blob of bird poop landed smack dab on my arm. I thought what the heck. The woman taking my $$$ looks horrified and starts apologizing saying that's never happened before.... saying something about how the poops ususally fall straight down into a little bucket they set out and that the wind must've had something to do with where it landed. I look up and..... start laughing while I'm pulling my camera outa my purse!!! She was relieved I took it in stride. They're just a little greenhouse with an attached pole barn where they have a cash register and sell some field grown produce. I like going there because their greenhouse is usually "alive" with hummers and they mark plants that have humming bird nests in em as not for sale.
--
Sorry.... no photo of my arm. I had to go out and wipe it off on the grass because their only hose was hooked up to an automatic waterer and all they had was a portapotty out back for customers.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-img_9409.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #83
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Last Sunday I was picking up some "filler" plants and was checking out and a blob of bird poop landed smack dab on my arm...

Sorry.... no photo of my arm. I had to go out and wipe it off on the grass because their only hose was hooked up to an automatic waterer and all they had was a portapotty out back for customers.
I much prefer the photo you did post.

I had no idea hummingbirds nested in plants...I thought they chose trees...and usually tall ones at that. Then again, they fill volumes with things I don't know.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 06-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #84
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
--
I love the little heads peeking over the side of the nest! cute
Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #85
Official Plant Nerd

I'd never seen them nesting in plants before until I started shopping there. In fall after the leaves drop I can see all their little nests and they're always in trees. Their greenhouse is attached to a pole barn and it's a very old greenhouse that has flaps that open up like a hot dog stand on 3 sides. It's kinda interesting because I've seen robins nesting in greenhouse plants before but never hummers and they definitely had 2 plants that were marked not for sale because of hummingbirds nesting last year an I'm sure they'll have a few more this year because she said they get hummers every year.
--
The little heads were what made me laugh. I can take getting crapped on!!! No biggie.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #86
Salamander

I'm loving summer because these are here! Male Painted Bunting, oh so pretty!
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-painted-bunting-4a.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #87
Official Plant Nerd

That's MY life bird!!! EXCELLENT PHOTO!!! I've seen indigo buntings before but NEVER a male or a female painted bunting!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #88
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
I'm loving summer because these are here! Male Painted Bunting, oh so pretty!
Wow! So tropical-looking.

I've only seen indigo buntings--and only recently at that. (But I can't complain...I'm thrilled to be seeing varieties of birds that I didn't encounter while growing up.)

I bet he put a smile on your face!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #89
WG Facilitator

I spotted this bird walking the highwire in my yard. The orange caught my eye. Does anyone know what it is?

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-img_1908.jpg   Today I saw:-img_1909.jpg   Today I saw:-img_1907.jpg   Today I saw:-img_1906.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #90
Salamander

Actually, they've been in the area about 3 weeks now...and yes, I've been smiling! I first saw Painted Buntings here last summer just for a little while during that horrific summer drought we had. They must have liked it okay, because they came back! From what I read on them, they like places that have somewhat thick low cover like brushy vegetation or shrubby areas and they are shy, seldom seen at feeders. Maybe they like my place...most people want to clear their property...I've seen that a lot. We've kept quite a bit of our 2 acres uncleared and I have way too many plants crammed into my fenced yard. They show up near the back yard feeder by going first into the smoke tree (preferred, being a good hiding place) that's near it or the Anacacho Orchid Tree, then they head to the feeder and eat mainly white millet, I think. I'm thinking about getting a feeder just for white millet, maybe one that excludes the larger birds. This is most likely a female...the greenish ones show up also.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-painted-bunting-3c.jpg  
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler