Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #61
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Since we stopped mowing the field the turkeys have been hanging around and are regular residents now...

Lucky you!

I love the lighting in your photo.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 05-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #62
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Thanks dap. It's pretty cool in the mornings and evenings when both the turkeys and the deer are grazing together. The birds are singing and the butterflies are nectaring. It's like some kind of Disney movie or something!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #63
Heron

Quote:
Thanks dap. It's pretty cool in the mornings and evenings when both the turkeys and the deer are grazing together. The birds are singing and the butterflies are nectaring. It's like some kind of Disney movie or something!
I hope you don't mind me chiming in here, but I think it's a MILLION times better than a Disney movie!

For me, Disney =
Old 06-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #64

Woohoo! I agree Bee!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #65
Salamander

cardinal2

Today I saw...a cicada buzzing drunkenly, then hit the ground in my flowerbed, splat! It lay there, buzzing and spinning in circles, as a male and female cardinal flew over and were apparently entertained for a few minutes. Then the male grabbed the cicada and flew off with it, as I heard the insistent buzzing fade into the treetops. Alas, poor cicada, he is history now!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #66

I was dozing in the Adirondack chair and was awakened by a hawk that flew in and landed on the Chinkapin Oak right above me and the bird feeders that hang off the tree right next to the deck. He was only maybe 10 feet away from me. Needless to say the birds took off immediately and the hawk left after lingering maybe 10 seconds without an easy meal. I tried to gather my wits about me but that was a really amazing sight. I've never been that close to a hawk before.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #67
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
I was dozing in the Adirondack chair and was awakened by a hawk that flew in and landed on the Chinkapin Oak right above me and the bird feeders that hang off the tree right next to the deck. He was only maybe 10 feet away from me. Needless to say the birds took off immediately and the hawk left after lingering maybe 10 seconds without an easy meal. I tried to gather my wits about me but that was a really amazing sight. I've never been that close to a hawk before.
What a great encounter! That is a great close up view!

Please don't think I missed the point, but I have to ask: how big does a chinkapin oak get?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #68

Big. 70 to 80 feet. Didn't I post a photo of the tree behind the house sometime ago? Anyway I'll post it here again. It was taken in 2010. It's not that big yet but if it gets any bigger I'm worried about having to take it down. It's already touching the power lines that run through the backyard. Boy, it would be sorely missed as it provides much needed shade to the south side of the house in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-chinkapin-oak-backyard.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #69
Heron

Quote:
Big. 70 to 80 feet. Didn't I post a photo of the tree behind the house sometime ago? Anyway I'll post it here again. It was taken in 2010. It's not that big yet but if it gets any bigger I'm worried about having to take it down. It's already touching the power lines that run through the backyard. Boy, it would be sorely missed as it provides much needed shade to the south side of the house in the summer.
That is a gorgeous tree! Its roots don't bother the house? The birds and bugs must love that tree.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #70

We don't have a basement, just a crawl space with a dirt floor, no problems with the roots.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler