Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #51
Salamander

So hey Equil, what kind of snake did you have eating those golf balls? Dang! How big was that snake? And he passed those golf balls? Jeepers! I 'bout fell out when I read that!

I did critter rehab for a while back in the 80's in Houston, and know how demanding---as well as rewarding--it is, so hats off to you for taking on these guys. I had one oppossum, raised it from a baby; ate just about everything and did not imprint at all. My favorite was an adult screech owl, what fun he was! He would warble for his dinner. Keep us up on your adventures with your new charges!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #52
Official Plant Nerd

A big ole northern water snake!!! I'd say it was at least 4-5' long. He didn't snitch and pass just 1 golf ball.... he snitched and passed about 5. The thing was messing with my head I tell you!!! I thought I was going nuts. We didn't even have chickens in the coop yet. All I could think of was that it was our kids snitching the golf balls for who knows what.
--
Ummm.... you're giving me too much credit. I don't do critter rehab. I treat what I get like a hot potato and pass it on ASAP. I work too many hours to get saddled with orphans. Orphaned skunks I'll let hang out on my kitchen counter because the rehabbers around here can't legally take em and if I call animal control.... animal control euthanizes em and lil stinkers are just too darn cute to let em get nuked. I haven't had any little stinkers in a long time but... I'd take em on in a heart beat just because I've got a problem with them getting nuked. Opossums are hard. I've had those before a few times since I can't pass up a dead opossum without stopping to check its pocket. I think the longest I had to care for those before I could find a rehabber to pass em to was about 2 weeks and.... that was 2 weeks too long. They're loud when they're hungry. 1 little opossum that's no bigger than 2 oz can wake my whole house in the middle of the night. I learned how to tiptoe and open the frig ever so quietly so I could get the food ready BEFORE the "thing" woke up so I could plug it real quick before it set everything in my house off. I definitely learned to heat up its food on the stove in a little pan of water instead of in the microwave because the microwave dings when it's done and the dinging woke up the "thing". Mustn't ever wake up the "thing" unless the food's ready!!! Opossums are cuter than the dickens... I'm definitely glad when I find a rehabber that'll take em off my hands though.
--
"he wanted to know if I'd take in an opossum, 3 ground hogs, a mole, a fox, and a snapper." They're adult "nuisance" critters folk paid him to remove from their properties. The guy transporting my Kildeer eggs wanted a place to release is all. I'm sure with the number of calls he gets.... he's constantly on the look out for places in the county where he can release them. He was here today releasing the opossum and the mole. He said the opossum took off toward the east and the mole was let go somewhere by the tree house. I missed him because we were at a BBQ. I guess he did go in the chicken coop and tried looking at the eggs since he was here. I guess he got an earful. He said Oprah sunk her head down low squaking so loud he decided he'd leave her and her eggs alone until he came back to transport tomorrow. Tomorrow I have to work so I'm going to miss meeting him again. A fox and kits were let go here several years ago. I saw them a few times after they were released but.... they struck out on their own and I haven't seen em since. I'm looking forward to a fox being released here. I'd really like to be here for that because it'll probably take off for the forest preserve like the last 1s did. It's the ground hogs I'm totally excited about. We haven't had any of those for so long I've lost track. I can't wait. I'm hoping at least 1 will decide to hang out here.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #53
WG Operations, Facilitator

broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
It's the ground hogs I'm totally excited about. We haven't had any of those for so long I've lost track. I can't wait. I'm hoping at least 1 will decide to hang out here.
Plant broccoli.
See my old post about Woody, the woodchuck (ground hog)
And make the ground hogs a brush pile.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #54
Official Plant Nerd

I planted broccoli. 4 different kinds. Are you telling me I'm gonna be sharing? Just kidding.... I'm sure I'll be sharing something. My husband thought I was certifiable for giving the critter control guy a green light to bring ground hogs here what with all the time I spend on the veggie gardens. I seriously don't think a ground hog's gonna be tunneling far in this yard without running into a bumper or bed springs.
--
I've got 7 bursh piles.... maybe 8. I'd have to sit down and think about how many I have. They're not whimpy brush piles either. Problem is they're all in the woods and that's either full shade or part shade. If you think I need to put together a few more brush piles in sun.... tell me fast. I'll have to take off a day of work because those should be coming soon. I am so hoping at least 1 of the ground hogs will stick around. I think we'll get the biggest kick of watching it poke its head out of its hole. Simple pleasures for simple minds!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #55
Heron

Quote:
I planted broccoli. 4 different kinds. Are you telling me I'm gonna be sharing? Just kidding.... I'm sure I'll be sharing something. My husband thought I was certifiable for giving the critter control guy a green light to bring ground hogs here what with all the time I spend on the veggie gardens. I seriously don't think a ground hog's gonna be tunneling far in this yard without running into a bumper or bed springs.
--
I've got 7 bursh piles.... maybe 8. I'd have to sit down and think about how many I have. They're not whimpy brush piles either. Problem is they're all in the woods and that's either full shade or part shade. If you think I need to put together a few more brush piles in sun.... tell me fast. I'll have to take off a day of work because those should be coming soon. I am so hoping at least 1 of the ground hogs will stick around. I think we'll get the biggest kick of watching it poke its head out of its hole. Simple pleasures for simple minds!!!
It's nice to hear of other gardeners who like brush piles! My spouse thinks they're nothing but eyesores, especially in a smaller yard like ours.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #56
WG Operations, Facilitator

beaver

Quote:
I planted broccoli. 4 different kinds. Are you telling me I'm gonna be sharing?
Yes, you will be sharing. Unless you have clover growing someplace to satisfy his need for tender greens.

Woody in my yard nibbling on clover.
Today I saw:-dsc_0042.jpg

A source of water will entice your groundhog to stick around (sorry, photo is a little fuzzy)
Today I saw:-dsc_0026.jpg

I often saw Woody sitting the end of this brush pile sunning himself. The dappled shade and medium sized bush pile suited him just fine. He lived here for an entire summer.
Today I saw:-img_0714.jpg

Woodchucks also seem to enjoy the "woodpile."
Today I saw:-dsc_0009-2.jpg Today I saw:-dsc_0005-3.jpg
Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #57
Official Plant Nerd

OMG..... remind me to NEVER stop in here before I'm supposed to leave for work!!!! Those photos make me lust for ground hogs.
--
BeeW> I LOVE brush piles. You need 1!!! They're great family fun watching. 1 problem though... I planted around mine. The plants totally obstruct our view. We can't see what's using them at this time of year what with plants growing up in front of em and vines scrambling over them.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #58
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
A source of water will entice your groundhog to stick around (sorry, photo is a little fuzzy)
A little fuzzy, but oh so cute!

...and he looks almost majestic in the fourth picture.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #59
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I love groundhogs! I know most people don't like them digging holes in their garden, I love to see them along the Parkway when I am driving. So cute, Becky!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #60
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Since we stopped mowing the field the turkeys have been hanging around and are regular residents now. It looks there are six adults that have ganged together and I did scare up a Mom and her chicks the other day so there's a family out there too. They stay more hidden though.

Getting some sun this morning before their all-day feeding fest.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-turkeys.jpg  
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler