Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #561
Alternate POM Judge

Sage there are lots of snowies in the area but I haven't seen any. Years ago there was one sitting on a sign early in the morning on my way to work. They are beautiful.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #562
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Ellen, keep your eyes open!

Rebek, I think not but the weather is bad enough today to make us change that decision!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #563
Official Plant Nerd

"Would that be baked in a pie or broiled on a spit and served on toast points? Just the thing to nibble on while waiting for the roast swan to rest after cooking. If wild boar are a problem where you are, you might serve that instead of swan. My butcher had wild boar sausage once and he said it was the best sausage he ever ate." Oh my God... I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time!!!
--
I've got some recipes that I've pulled off the internet for sparrows I should post for anyone interested.

adding something.... Arey> here ya go.... a few recipes to "enhance" your future dining experiences, Pigeon and Squab and Sparrow recipes from the internet

Last edited by Equilibrium; 12-15-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: adding something
Old 12-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #564
Alternate POM Judge

Oh you are too funny equil!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #565
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Oh you are too funny equil!
I have a feeling she is dead serious.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 12-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #566
Official Plant Nerd

Hey.... you guys ATE and LIKED moose meatballs and you already eat chicken so sparrows and swan wouldn't be that big of a stretch. You just have to find the right recipe is all!!! Well.... you'd have to buy a repeating sparrow trap for the sparrows and starlings.
--
Pssst.... EW knew I was serious.... she's all for dispatching sparrows and feral cats and she's a waste not want not kinda woman. Oh... and about feral cat.... it tastes like chicken. It's not tough at all like dog or coyote meat and think of all the froggies and birdies you'd be saving everytime you dispatched a feral cat.
--
Come on.... expand your cullinary horizons.... your taste buds will thank you.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #567
Alternate POM Judge

Ok moose sounds good. I wouldn't think there would be much meat on a HOSP. I have so many of them I could save a lot of money on food bills. I have been cleaning out the purple martin gourds I was given. Most of them had HOSP nests in them. I hope that won't be my experience. It would really help if the neighbor would stop feeding them. Now there you go! Feral cats could feed the homeless. If hunters shoot overpopulated deer than how is that different from overpopulated cats?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Hey.... you guys ATE and LIKED moose meatballs and you already eat chicken so sparrows and swan wouldn't be that big of a stretch. You just have to find the right recipe is all!!! Well.... you'd have to buy a repeating sparrow trap for the sparrows and starlings.
--
Come on.... expand your cullinary horizons.... your taste buds will thank you.
I was surprised and impressed that he did eat them...but I think he'd draw the line on sparrows--and chicken-tasting cats for sure!

I'm not much of a killer...except for ticks and an occasional mosquito.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto

Last edited by dapjwy; 12-16-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Fixing auto correct
Old 12-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #569
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

If the feral cats are preying on the HOSPs and starlings, are they not doing us a service?

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
If the feral cats are preying on the HOSPs and starlings, are they not doing us a service?
If that were all they caught and killed, I'd say yes...but they don't discriminate.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler