Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #541
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Today I saw:-image.jpg coot
Old 10-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #542
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Turttle,
"My daughter needs to visit Cornell in January to see what winter is really like and decide if she really wants to go there. She puts on a sweatshirt when it gets down to 68. I think she will freeze."

Today I saw:-image.jpg
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #543
Alternate POM Judge

Driving up my long gravel driveway this afternoon I saw lots of juncos. The first of the season. They love to hang out along my driveway and will be there all winter. For those who don't like winter there are cool birds to see during winter. I have lots of white throated sparrows. I heard a nuthatch today. I'm looking forward to seeing more winter regulars.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #544
Alternate POM Judge

I started to post and noticed I finally have goldfinches eating nyjer seed. I've only been putting a little out and nothing has been eating it. Every day I turn the feeder upside down and shake it to keep the seed from getting caked and moldy. Today it was snowing and I didn't shake it feeling discouraged. This teaches me not to get discouraged. I have a song sparrow. I don't see many of them. I love to hear them sing.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #545
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
For those who don't like winter there are cool birds to see during winter. I have lots of white throated sparrows. I heard a nuthatch today. I'm looking forward to seeing more winter regulars.
Thanks for reminding us that every season has its merits. It is not that I don't like winter, I just think it is too long.

Since buying our house and land, I've learned to appreciate winter a lot more. I liked it as a kid, but less and less the older I got...until now where it is gaining some in my esteem. I bet, once I get more natives established (from fruiting trees and shrubs to the seeds of grasses and wildflowers), I'll appreciate it more--not only for the beauty of the plants themselves, but also the birds (and other wildlife) that they attract.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #546

Congratulations on your goldfinches. I can't wait until I start seeing them here again. One year I was lucky enough to have a small flock.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 12-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #547
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Our goldfinches are here year round. They visit the feeders all summer then disappear in the fall, I see them browsing in the prairie bed and field, Yay! then they start showing up at the feeders in winter again with their bright yellow plumage.

I have yet to see the juncos and red-breasted nuthatches this year.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Our goldfinches are here year round. They visit the feeders all summer then disappear in the fall, I see them browsing in the prairie bed and field, Yay! then they start showing up at the feeders in winter again with their bright yellow plumage.

I have yet to see the juncos and red-breasted nuthatches this year.
We get goldfinches all year as well--at least I know I've seen them in the summer. I think we get a lot of birds year round...except the juncos.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #549
Alternate POM Judge

It was wonderful today when it was snowing to watch the birds all around the house picking at what was in the gardens. What once looked like a jungle to some now is filled with seeds berries and nuts for wildlife. I think you will really enjoy winter when you have wildlife enjoying your gardens dap. I took a picture of 3 doves sitting on frost bitten Pokeweed. It takes me a while to get my pictures on the computer so I can post them.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
It was wonderful today when it was snowing to watch the birds all around the house picking at what was in the gardens. What once looked like a jungle to some now is filled with seeds berries and nuts for wildlife. I think you will really enjoy winter when you have wildlife enjoying your gardens dap. I took a picture of 3 doves sitting on frost bitten Pokeweed. It takes me a while to get my pictures on the computer so I can post them.
Just this week, I was thinking again how much more attractive the yard is with snow covered mounds of dried asters and other wildflowers, twigs, grasses, blueberry shrubs, etc...than if it were just a mowed expanse of lawn blanketed in snow.

I do have wildlife coming to what I've planted...I just need to plant a LOT more and more diversity. I'd love to have virtually the whole yard providing food for wildlife--nectar in the spring, summer, and fall; seeds and berries in the winter. Of course, there would be berries and seeds that will come and go long before winter arrives, but I hope to have plenty of the bounty that carries the birds and critters through the winter.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler