Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #531
Heron

Today's migrating visitors to the backyard Golden crowned kinglet and Magnolia warblers.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #532
Alternate POM Judge

My property has been loaded with yellow rumps the last few days. Also had a couple robins and an unidentified bird that looked like a juvenile cedar waxwing.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #533
Heron

First Junco of the year this morning! Time to break out the sweaters!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #534
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Snow!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #535
Official Plant Nerd

I'm thinking it's gonna be an unseasonably cold winer. All of my chicken waterers were iced over this morning and I saw snow flurries too and it's only Oct 22nd!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #536
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Probably why we have so many APPLES this year!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #537
Alternate POM Judge

The farmers almanac is predicting a cold winter. I forget where the super bowl is to be held but a big storm is predicted for when the game is to be played. I'm ready! No driving to work in the snow anymore since I retired from my full time job. Right now my dog walking job is for a school teacher so she will be home to take care of the dogs when the weather is bad...uh and its 5 minutes from where I live. Just to really rub it in I have a new picture window in my living room and I look forward to seeing how pretty the snow looks.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #538
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I have seen four ground hogs hanging out by the sides of our country roads in the past few days. Does anyone know why groundhogs do this in the fall? Not a bird, but falls under the "today I saw..." Rubric! No fall migrants who winter here here yet, but if they are in Ohio already they must be coming. I am still seeing hummers coming through, but not as frequent.

I think it is going to be a cold winter, too. The weather has been all screwed up this year, and we are,already having our first hard freeze. My daughter needs to visit Cornell in January to see what winter is really like and decide if she really wants to go there. She puts on a sweatshirt when it gets down to 68. I think she will freeze.

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #539
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Awe turttle, she'll get used to it! Up here natives wear shorts and open jackets in the winter. We're on the very edge of the university and the complex next to us houses mostly Asian grad students and those young girls wear the shortest skirts and their little pencil legs must be freezing!

I felt bad for a patient in the Ortho center's parking lot who had a leg cast and was using one of those scooters while wearing a flimsy skirt and light sweater today with temps in the 30s! Probably dressed for the scooter.

I love that area around Cornell. You'll enjoy visiting!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #540
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Oh, and today we saw a lot of American Coots, some Hooded Mergansers and Pied-billed Grebes, plus Canada Geese and Sandhill Cranes.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler