Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #521
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Lucky you! I've never seen a live porcupine before!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 05-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #522
Official Plant Nerd

I just walked outside to shut off the water and triggered the flood lights. I think I about bust a gut when I saw little stinkers dotting the grass. They're so tiny.... they're no bigger than the baby bunny I found in the grass but those stripes of theirs sure do show up at night when the flood lights go on. I didn't see Mom anywhere but she had to be nearby.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #523
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Dija move real slow in the opposite direction?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #524
Official Plant Nerd

Naaa.... the little stinkers weren't old enough to go off yet and the momma is probably used to living around here so she just stayed out of sight. Even the adults don't "go off" as much you'd think.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #525
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

They go OFF after they're born. No such thing as one without a trigger! But I Agree with you on that one. They only go off when necessary, scared, picked up or backed into a corner feeling threatened.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
Old 10-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #526
Lungwort

Default hops

I've only seen these growing wild once before. On my neighbor's untrimmed fence, along with elderberries and wild grapes. Now, if I just had some barley....
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-10090411644_c111c92d08_b.jpg  
Old 10-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #527
Lungwort

Default hops

I've only seen these growing wild once before. On my neighbor's untrimmed fence, along with elderberries and wild grapes. Now, if I just had some barley....
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-10090411644_c111c92d08_b.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #528
Official Plant Nerd

Took me a while figuring out where you were going since that's not native and can get a little "weedy" but.... slaps self up side of head.... barley + hops + yeast = beer!!! You and 1 of my brothers must have beer on the brain!!! Men!!!
--
We don't drink per se but.... we keep some Mexican beer in the frig for friends....I use beer in beer batters for onions and every once in a while for fish and a few times a year for butterfly brew. I've got a brother who brews his own beer.... do you?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #529
Lungwort

I did not realize that wild hops are not native. Apparently, there are many cultivated varieties. I wonder whether George Washington and Thomas Jefferson brought hop vines from Europe? Years ago I experimented brewing beer. I even bought a bag of barley seed and malted it. I also planted a hops plant just to watch it grow up a string to the peak of my roof (clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere). Today I only ferment garbage.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #530
Official Plant Nerd

Humulus lupulus v. lupulus… the plant used for making beer… is European. Some variations are of NA origin. H. japonicus is Asian, I think it’s from China but…. I can't get to the plants database to make sure I’m right so don’t hold me to that. A quick way to tell H. Lupulus and all its variations apart from japonicus is by the stem…. stems on lupulus are woody…. stems on japonicus are green…. herbaceous.
--
There’s an Eastern and a Western variation of hops and a Midwestern variation that’s actually native that I know of…. could be more… could be less with all the dna cataloging going on out there. I think the Midwestern variation is pubescens but paleeeease…. don’t hold me to that since I can’t go check it out quick fast online. Either way….I’m pretty sure what you photographed is var. lupulus because I’m not detecting any “hairiness” in your photos and those are actually really nice clear photos and you’re in Peoria and the variation that’s indigenous to where you are should be pubescens and its leaves should be visibly hairy…not glabrous like what I’m seeing in your photo. Here’s 2 more decent photos of the European variety, http://www.biolib.cz/IMG/GAL/599.jpg and Hops (Humulus lupulus) Non-Native | Tryon Life Community Farm. Other differences between the variations are more subtle…. unless you’ve got a handy dandy DNA test kit (ha ha ha) or you’re into bringing a guide with you and looking up how many hairs and glands and veins to count. Needless to say….. there’s a lot of misidentification out there and even more so since our native variation is “crossing” with European and Asian variations. Unless you’ve taken a class and a botanist has taught you how to differentiate between the NA variations and introduced variations…. and who has…. we’re all gonna have a real tough time telling 1 apart from the other with much certainty.

Adding something…. cultivars are of garden origin meaning…. they’re not native to anywhere but if you needed to know what the mommas and poppas were of all the hops cultivars floating around…. they’d probably all be sports of the European straight species. And…. I “ferment” garbage too!!!

Adding something again…. oh oh oh!!! I just yahooed and think I found the answer to how they came to be in the US, http://ediblejersey.com/editorial/fa...3/taking-root/. Looks like interesting reading!!!

Last edited by Equilibrium; 10-05-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: adding something again
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler