Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #511
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Very cool! Maybe you need to have a horse in it so there are flies for them to eat? Or maybe to leave the doors open so they can nest inside? I could loan you a horse for a few months when my daughter goes to college if you want to try the experiment...the manure would be good for the garden, too...and she wouldn't eat too many of your plants!
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think Jeff would go for it.

Maybe we could just put in some manure and open the windows?

Oh well, I did put up little shelves under the eaves our second year here. No luck.

(It still hasn't quite sunk in that we actually do have a barn.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #512
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Maybe they just haven't found you yet. Are there other barns around? Perhaps you just need to scatter some hay around, and walk around with a halter and say "tut, tut, where is that horse?"

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Maybe they just haven't found you yet. Are there other barns around? Perhaps you just need to scatter some hay around, and walk around with a halter and say "tut, tut, where is that horse?"
LOL!

From what I've read, once there is a colony, the birds don't look for other sites--until it is too crowded or disappears, I guess.

There are other barns around. The neighbor has one that *is* open, and I've never seen any barn swallows there, so I have to assume I'm out of luck for now. Even if the neighbor had them, I'd get to see them sometimes.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #514
Heron

I spotted another migrating visitor to my backyard this morning. A black and white warbler! That brings my backyard species list up to 59 species
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I spotted another migrating visitor to my backyard this morning. A black and white warbler! That brings my backyard species list up to 59 species
Congratulations.

You make me realize that I need to make a species list! ...What has taken me so long?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #516
Heron

More new visitors to my backyard this weekend. Common yellowthroat, yellow rumped warbler, and American redstart.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #517

I want to come and visit Recurve during migration sometime! Very cool birds!

I have a greater crested flycatcher hanging about my woods for the past few days. My windows look out into the tree canopy, which is probably the only way I get to see him. No photos yet, but I am trying...

Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #518

No flycatcher photo, but a nice nuthatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-white-breasted-nuthatch-pine-tree-looking-forward.jpg  

Old 05-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #519
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Sweet!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #520
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Today I saw:-p1060800.jpg
Porcupine filling up on buds.
Today I saw:-p1060806.jpg
And this is??????

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler