Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #501
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Barn swallow at, can you guess? My daughter's horse's barn!
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-barn-swallow-female-nest-3-web.jpg   Today I saw:-barn-swallow-male-hunching-over.jpg   Today I saw:-barn-swallow-nest-best-eweb.jpg   Today I saw:-barn-swallow-wire.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 05-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #502
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Wonderful photos everyone.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #503
Heron

I had an exciting sighting in my backyard this morning. A female Golden-winged warbler! That's another first for my yard. I was unable to get a clear photo of her though I'm hoping she shows up again some time today.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #504
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I wanna be called "Bug Buster" this year.
What, you are tired of "Official Plant Nerd" already?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 05-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Barn swallow at, can you guess? My daughter's horse's barn!
I *love* barn swallows! I'd love to have them here, but so far, no luck.

I do however have tree swallows.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I had an exciting sighting in my backyard this morning. A female Golden-winged warbler! That's another first for my yard. I was unable to get a clear photo of her though I'm hoping she shows up again some time today.
Very cool. (I didn't know what they were, so I looked them up. Nice-looking little things, aren't they?)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #507

Dap, you need to build a barn....

A red-eyed vireo from a tree by my stream this morning.

Today I saw:-red-eyed-vireo-tree-stream.jpg

Black vulture
Today I saw:-black-vulture-flight.jpg

Old 05-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #508

Quote:
Dap, you need to build a barn....
...No I don't.

Today I saw:-dsc04941-crop.jpg
Old 05-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #509

Quote:
A red-eyed vireo from a tree by my stream this morning.
I probably told this story before, but when I was still living at home, a bird hit our window. I went out, found it dazed, put it in a shoebox, and place it in one of the many spruce trees my dad put in. While it was recovering, I got out the bird book and discovered it was a red-eyed vireo. I'd never seen one before that and had never heard of it. By the time I got back to check on it, it was gone.

That is my encounter with a red-eyed vireo. Being that they are somewhat shy and are not feeder birds, I would likely never have seen one had it not had an unfortunate encounter with a window. Now, I'm hoping to some day shoot a photo of a bird moving in the branches, and discover, after I upload it, that we do have red-eyed vireos in our yard.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #510

Very cool! Maybe you need to have a horse in it so there are flies for them to eat? Or maybe to leave the doors open so they can nest inside? I could loan you a horse for a few months when my daughter goes to college if you want to try the experiment...the manure would be good for the garden, too...and she wouldn't eat too many of your plants!

Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler