Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #491
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
This afternoon I saw.... my cardinal and robin mommas sitting on their eggs beneath the big bad hawk's nest. The hawk's nest is HUGE.... it's probably 3' across. A piece of siding blew off the side of the storage barn and I guess we won't be putting it back up anytime soon what with the cardinal nesting in the Kentucky wisteria.
Great photos! What kind of hawks are they? And why is he a big, bad hawk? Did he eat some chickens?

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #492
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

We saw newly hatched goslings in the little grassy area between the road and the pond. Did not see the eggs. We stayed for a while parking our extremely quiet Prius so as to block anyone or any car from getting to close til they got into the water. The road is known only to locals but they speed through there, plus bicyclists and dogs being walked, especially on Saturday!

It is so amazing they come out of the egg ready to go! They can walk, paddle in the water, and immediately try to eat the vegetation! The family is extremely vulnerable to predation now, until the little wing buds grow big enough for them to fly.

I'm not sure why there are just three as usually there are more. How cute are these babies?

Today I saw:-p1460630.jpg

Today I saw:-p1460625.jpg

Today I saw:-p1460619.jpg

Today I saw:-p1460573.jpg

Today I saw:-p1460604.jpg
Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #493
Mentor

Some recent pics (not all from today).
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-redeftc.jpg   Today I saw:-redbck.jpg   Today I saw:-duskysal.jpg   Today I saw:-diving.jpg   Today I saw:-river1.jpg  

Old 04-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #494
Mentor

a few more
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-nestbuild.jpg   Today I saw:-hawks019.jpg   Today I saw:-pnest.jpg   Today I saw:-raven.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #495
Fox

pawprint

nice shots midwesternerr, much enjoyed.

ww
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #496
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

What a nice variety you have there Midwest!
Would that by chance be a woodchuck?

We had one hanging out along the river one year.
Boy can they ever let out a squeal when startled!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #497

SAGE!
What a cute pair you caught snuggling!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #498
Official Plant Nerd

bridget> "What kind of hawks are they? And why is he a big, bad hawk? Did he eat some chickens?" The chicken eater is a Coopers Hawk. I've lost at least 6 chickens to hawks so far.... I'll lose more. The red tailed hawks can't attain lift with the breeds I've got so they don't go after the chickens. Honestly.... the hawks and everything else around here looooooooove chicken dinners it seems. I lost my best rooster named Herschel to a hawk last year. Herschel was more of a pet. Herschel gave it his all and went up against the Coopers Hawk and lost his head.... literally. I watched from a 2nd floor window. I posted a photo here somewhere in another thread when it happened. It wasn't the greatest photo but you could see the size of the hawk compared to the size of Herschel and overall.... the subject matter was impressive. The hawk had a nice feast and I got a photo. She was nesting in a tree close by and I didn't find the nest until after the leaves dropped last fall.
--
The hawk isn't exactly big and bad.... I just said that because she's just doing what hawks do but I can tell you she's going to take a few of my husband's squirrels this year for her young and I'm sure with the proximity of the cardinal's nest and the robin's nest she'll get a few of their fledglings.... it's not like she won't be able to see em hit the ground from her vantage point in the nest in the next tree when they start sropping to the ground. She'll get some of my chippies too. I love my chippies but that's the way it goes because we love our Coopers hawk too. She's nesting in the same place again this year. I only have 1 rooster left. It's got a name so I put him in another run that's fully covered. Here's hoping the hawk doesn't get down there and get my only rooster but if it does.... oh well.... I REFUSE to touch that hawk's nest.... it has more rights than my chickens in my peon brain. We've got a stray cat hanging around I'm sorta hoping she pegs for her young and a boatload of mink farm escapees. It'd be nice if she pegged the stray cats and mink instead of my husband's black squirrel or any of her babies but.... she'll take what she can get to keep her young alive... as she should. The black squirrel didn't pick the best spot for her nest this year.... she picked the very top of another Hawthorn tree that's fully exposed from the air. The Coopers hawk knows the nest is there.... I've seen her do a few fly bys. Once those squirrels are big enough... she can pluck em right out of the nest from above without ever having to land.... we're talking snatch and grab. If she pegs a chicken it would be nice if she pegged 1 that's not named but.... I don't have any control over that. Does what I said make sense to you?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #499

Yes it does....
I must have missed the snatch. Nature in action. Too bad it was your dear Herschel though.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #500
Official Plant Nerd

sage> OMG.... I just saw those photos!!! Great eye candy.... especially that photo of the 2 with their heads together.
--
BeeW> Wait until you see some of the organic "goodies" I've got in my garden pest arseonal this year!!! I went power shopping last weekend.... I'm armed and... hopefully dangerous..... at least I'm hoping bugs like flea beetles and cabbage moths will think so. BTW.... nothing I bought was really expensive either. We're talking products like yellow solo cups and tanglefoot and long aluminum J stake thingies that were like only $2 per pack. I wanna be called "Bug Buster" this year. I'll take photos and post them over in the veggies and tomato forums if you're interested. It'll be at least a month before I start "bug busting" though. It's been too cold to plant anything out yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler