Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #471
Heron

The Gull looks like a Bonaparte's gull transitioning into breeding plumage.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #472
Official Plant Nerd

Those photos of the tree swallows are totally cute!!!
--
Today I saw something that was sorta depressing. We've had a lot or rain here the last few days.... matter of fact yesterday all the main highways and tollways in and out of Chicago were shut down because of all the rain and flooding and getting in and out of where I live was bad too because the river rose about 4' in 1 day so lots of our roads were shut down but anywhoooo.... the corn and soybean fields are flooding too and I was looking at all the ducks on the water and I could see a film on the water.... that rainbowie oil slickish type film if ya know what I mean and to boot.... all the garbage everyone pitches out their car windows when they're driving was floating everywhere too. That means all the waterfowl coming in for landings are drinking and swimming in that chemically laden water. I did stop and take a quickie photo but with all the rain and the dark skies.... it didn't show up.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #473
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Thanks, recurve! There are so many different gulls here lately! I feel helpless trying to ID them!
I still can't upload pix today from Chrome
Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #474
Official Plant Nerd

Kick the Chrome habit.... get rid of it.... I did. My computer does what I want it to do these days not what Google wants it to do!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Those photos of the tree swallows are totally cute!!!
--
Today I saw something that was sorta depressing. We've had a lot or rain here the last few days.... matter of fact yesterday all the main highways and tollways in and out of Chicago were shut down because of all the rain and flooding and getting in and out of where I live was bad too because the river rose about 4' in 1 day so lots of our roads were shut down but anywhoooo.... the corn and soybean fields are flooding too and I was looking at all the ducks on the water and I could see a film on the water.... that rainbowie oil slickish type film if ya know what I mean and to boot.... all the garbage everyone pitches out their car windows when they're driving was floating everywhere too. That means all the waterfowl coming in for landings are drinking and swimming in that chemically laden water. I did stop and take a quickie photo but with all the rain and the dark skies.... it didn't show up.
Yikes! That's always upsetting to see that iridescent film on water!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #476
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Thanks, recurve! There are so many different gulls here lately! I feel helpless trying to ID them!
I still can't upload pix today from Chrome
No problem! I always consult my field guides on gulls they are all very much alike and they have different plumage by age class. I think Bonapartes is the easiest amongst the black headed gulls because it's the only one with the solid black bill and black tipped primaries.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #477

I know Peregrines, some birds and some waterfowl, but still have a lot to learn!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #478
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I had an interesting encounter just now, I stepped out onto the balcony in my red robe when I heard a buzzing all around my head. I could feel the wind from the beating of his wings on my neck and hear the buzz close to my ear.

A hummingbird thought he hit the jackpot with a big red flower! When I turned around to look at him he realized it was just me, what a disappointment!
You should write a book about how to attract hummingbirds, and include that in it. ..or write a book on how to disappoint hummingbirds.

Poor little guy, but lucky you!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 04-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #479
Official Plant Nerd

"A hummingbird thought he hit the jackpot with a big red flower!" Ha ha ha!!! That's funny. I dunno how I missed that. I've heard of other people with bright colored bathrobes and those Hawaiian shirts getting "visits" before. It's still funny to me since I've never experienced it. Maybe I should buy some "loud" clothing so I can get a chance at getting "visited".
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #480
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I leave my office door open in nice weather like this and wander in and out to the balcony. This morning I had a visitor in the house, a titmouse who flew in and got trapped in the laundry room next door. His poor mate kept coming to the door calling to him trying to coax him out. Once I got him back into the office he found his way to the open balcony door.

They are so tame they never seem to mind me much. I can imagine they see "Big Red" coming with the sunflower seeds and know they're getting a good meal coming their way!
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler