Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #291
Heron

Least brook lamprey spawning - YouTube

Least brook lamprey (Lampetra aepyptera) spawning

Went poking around in a deep hardwood cove today in central Mississippi, affectionately known by the locals as "The Old Cove," and contains remnant flora of the Appalachians. These spawning fish will likely be our most special find of the season!

The Least brook lamprey spawns in the headwaters of streams in the spring after spending many years as tiny worm-like ammocoetes. They spend most of their life as ammocoetes before they metamorphose into adults in fall and then spawn the following spring, then die. They are one of only 4 species of lamprey in Mississippi, and they are the only non-parasitic lamprey in the state. Once adults, they no longer eat. What a fascinating creature!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #292
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
...These spawning fish will likely be our most special find of the season!

The Least brook lamprey spawns in the headwaters of streams in the spring after spending many years as tiny worm-like ammocoetes. They spend most of their life as ammocoetes before they metamorphose into adults in fall and then spawn the following spring, then die. They are one of only 4 species of lamprey in Mississippi, and they are the only non-parasitic lamprey in the state. Once adults, they no longer eat. What a fascinating creature!
What an amazing encounter! Great footage...and very informative. Thank you for sharing.

I never knew that some fish undergo metamorphosis.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #293
Heron

Yes very cool! We turned up a couple last spring doing an electro-fishing survey. It's rare to see them because they don't live very long in their adult form, only a few weeks if I remember correctly. Do you know kchd?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #294
Heron

It is my understanding that they live for only a few months, from the previous fall. I can't imagine that they are very visible, though, except for during spawning. These amazing fish were so intent on building their beds that I was literally a few inches from them taking photos. If you watch the video closely, you can see that they are moving pebbles around. The largest spawning group we found was 6 fish. Talk about excited!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #295
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I didn't know lampreys were birds...then again, I don't believe we have a "Today I saw" thread for fish to put them in. Very cool video, in any case. Thanks for sharing it!

Canada geese pair, sharing a moment
Today I saw:-canada-geese-pair.jpg

And, I think this is a red-tailed hawk, but it isn't the best photo. Any comments from the raptor experts? The poor thing was being chased away by crows and I didn't have much time to get a shot.
Today I saw:-red-tailed-hawk-probably.jpg Today I saw:-red-tailed-hawk-probably-mega-contrast-photo.jpg

My pine siskins were all up in a single short leaf pine tree today, singing and chattering and making quite the ruckus. Too high up to get any good photos, but charming to watch with binocs. I think they will leave soon. I thought my juncos were gone, since I haven't seen them up at my deck feeder in more than a week, but I saw some on my game cam in the early mornings. It doesn't take great night photos, but during the day it does ok.
Today I saw:-ek000126.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #296
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I didn't know lampreys were birds...then again, I don't believe we have a "Today I saw" thread for fish to put them in. Very cool video, in any case. Thanks for sharing it!
Hahahaa! I didn't even notice that this thread was in birds
I was too excited, I guess. Ok, I'll post some bird photos to make up for it (soon). Although I didn't take any photos of birds today. I was busy looking down.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #297
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Great capture of the Red-tail, turttle!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #298

Quote:

Canada geese pair, sharing a moment
Attachment 35490
~smile~. I guess you never caught me posting Where's Waldo photos that were not butterflies nor moths...it is funny how a thread in one forum attracts so many posts that don't fit the forum. I guess the creator should take it as a compliment.

Nice geese...POM worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
Hahahaa! I didn't even notice that this thread was in birds ...
I rarely notice the specific forum I'm in...to me it is just all Wildlife Gardeners.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #299

Quote:
I don't believe we have a "Today I saw" thread for fish to put them in.
I think this would work:
Today's encounters. It is in the North American Wildlife - Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening forum.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #300
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

bald eagle

Aside from our Peregrines, we've seen mostly ducks which I'll put in Waterfowl

Today I saw:-p1400530rtha.jpg Gorgeous Red-tail Hawk just landed in a tree top

Today I saw:-p1400535seow.jpg More Short-eared Owls

Today I saw:-p1400502baea.jpg Bald Eagle, halfway through incubation

Today I saw:-p1400500baea.jpg mate watching the territory from nearby tree

Attachment 35510 Actually, I like this shot better than the first
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler