Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #241
Salamander

A bird that's this far away from its territory is always welcome!
Audubon's Oriole showed up on about the 8th this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-audubons-oriole-2c.jpg  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #242
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
A bird that's this far away from its territory is always welcome!
Audubon's Oriole showed up on about the 8th this month.

Congratulations on your unexpected oriole!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #243
Heron

Today I saw a red-headed woodpecker and I just saw my spring herald for the first time since winter began. I wonder if my chipmunk is giving me a sign of warm weather to come?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Today I saw a red-headed woodpecker and I just saw my spring herald for the first time since winter began. I wonder if my chipmunk is giving me a sign of warm weather to come?
I've started seeing a chipmunk last week, and it makes me think spring can't be too far away either. Let's hope we are right.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #245
Fox

Today, on a hike into Wachusett Reservoir, I saw two Bald eagles on the edge of the open water. There are at least 3 breeding pairs on the land that adjoins this body of water. Nearby I also saw what I believe was a juvenile Bald Eagle although I was unable to confirm this either by binocular or camera. The distance was just too great to tell that it was anything other than a large brown raptor. Since it was within about 25 yards of the two adults, I made the logical leap, perhaps in error.

Today I saw:-wachusett-winter-011a.jpg

The picture isn't great, but it definitely shows that they're Bald Eagles. I don't care how common these become, they'll always take my breath away.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Today, on a hike into Wachusett Reservoir, I saw two Bald eagles...

Attachment 35144

The picture isn't great, but it definitely shows that they're Bald Eagles. I don't care how common these become, they'll always take my breath away.
Very cool.

I still remember being amazed at seeing my first one...and it was flying away from me...later a saw another from our yard soaring above a neighboring property. I've seen them once or twice after that, and yes, it is still a thrill.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #247
Fox

I have to admit that during my first trip to Alaska, I became a little bit jaded to the presence of Bald Eagles, but that's because the section of river we were on had so many that the were like pigeons in the park. I still looked at them when we passed them, but I did stop taking pictures.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #248

Quote:
I have to admit that during my first trip to Alaska, I became a little bit jaded to the presence of Bald Eagles, but that's because the section of river we were on had so many that the were like pigeons in the park. I still looked at them when we passed them, but I did stop taking pictures.
~smile~. Thanks for that perspective, Bulu. I think it is human nature.

I guess I used to think I'd have to travel to some remote wilderness in hopes of getting a glimpse of one. I'm so happy to have an occasional sighting right here in my own back yard.

From what I've read (probably on this site), white tailed deer had been over-hunted at one point tht it was very exciting to get a rare glimpse of one...that was around the time that Bambi was introduced. (Someone correct me if I got that all wrong...my memory isn't what I'd like it to be.)
Old 02-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #249
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post

From what I've read (probably on this site), white tailed deer had been over-hunted at one point tht it was very exciting to get a rare glimpse of one...that was around the time that Bambi was introduced. (Someone correct me if I got that all wrong...my memory isn't what I'd like it to be.)
Likewise, wild turkey were extirpated from New England by the early 1800's but with some help they came back into prominence in New York and eventually returned in such abundance that they're able to be hunted here in Massachusetts once again. Success stories like the Bald eagle, White-tailed Deer and Wild Turkey are signs of hope for other endangered species.

A little more info...
The Return of the Wild Turkey
Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #250

Quote:
Likewise, wild turkey were extirpated from New England by the early 1800's but with some help they came back into prominence in New York and eventually returned in such abundance that they're able to be hunted here in Massachusetts once again. Success stories like the Bald eagle, White-tailed Deer and Wild Turkey are signs of hope for other endangered species.

A little more info...
The Return of the Wild Turkey
See! I learn so much from all of you here on Wildlife Gardeners! Thanks, Bulu.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler