Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #231
Fox

Default Today I saw....

...a Barred Owl (I think) in my backyard.
Today I saw:-owl-030.jpg
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #232
Official Plant Nerd

That's a gorgeous barred owl!!! I have 1. It used to hang out in an elm tree snag I had but since its favorite look out post fell to the ground, it hangs out in the newly created Norway Maple snag out back by the old treehouse. I'd love to get a photo like that. My guy never shows up until dusk. I have no idea where mine goes during the day.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #233
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
...a Barred Owl (I think) in my backyard.
Attachment 35112
Very cool, Bulu.

I've never seen an owl in my backyard. I hope to some day though. Congratulations!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #234

I'd like to believe I have an owl or two visiting the property, maybe I just have to keep an eye out at dusk.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #235
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Beautiful barred owl, Bulu! I have never seen one outside of captivity, but my husband saw one swoop down on our pond patio and pick some poor creature up last summer (large frog? squirrel? snake? who knows!)

Here are a few more from my yard over the past two weeks. I just haven't had time to post.

Brown headed nuthatch - I didn't have any last year!
Today I saw:-brown-headed-nuthatch-2.jpg

Chipping sparrow
Today I saw:-chipping-sparrow-1.jpg

And a robin in a pear tree...wasn't it supposed to be a partridge? Then again, a Bradford isn't much of a pear tree, either!
Today I saw:-robin-pear-4.jpg

One angry yellow rumped warbler
Today I saw:-yellow-rumped-warbler-glaring.jpg

And lastly, where's waldo, or how many siskins are bathing in this picture? My pond was awash in splashing siskins that morning.
Today I saw:-siskins-bathing-1.jpg

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #236
Heron

Nice I've never seen a brown headed nuthatch before!

I count 12 pine siskins
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #237

Great photos, turtle. Thanks for sharing.

I've only seen a drawing of a brown-headed nuthatch in a field guide. Yours looks adorable. You are so lucky to get them

By the way, I like your new avatar...now that is the kind of nuthatch I see around here.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #238
Fox

I'm glad everyone likes the owl pic. It only took 38 shots to get this and a few other decent ones. Low light and distance made for tough camera work. I ended up lowering the top sash of my window and bracing the camera and camera hand against the corner of the frame. A gentle squeeze of the trigger to avoid shaking and....adequacy.

Lovely photos, turttle. It's amazing how ubiquitous birds are once you get in the habit of seeing them. Of course, sometimes it's easier than others. I have a birdfeeder outside my 3rd story bedroom window. It's hanging about 3 ft in front of my face as I write this. It provides plenty of entertainment for me and my cat, especially when the squirrel hangs upside down on it and plunders the "squirrel-proof" feeder.

Below the feeder is a small, nearly flat surface and then the gutter just below it. Between the squirrel and all the sparrows, titmice and chickadees, there's plenty of spillage on this platform and especially in the gutter. This attracts the scavengers, including Blue Jays, Cardinals and Mourning Doves. Lots and lots of Mourning Doves.

Pretty much any morning or afternoon, I can look out my bedroom window and see a gutter full of doves.

Today I saw:-snow-008a.jpg
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #239
Offical Silphium Abuser

The warbler photo needs to be in the POM contest--along with others--great pictures, everyone!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #240
WG Operations, Facilitator

Cool bird photos. Favorite today is turttle's "One angry yellow rumped warbler," just because it made me smile.

I never knew some nuthatches could have brown heads. I have lots of nuthatches here...now I'll be looking for one with a brown head!

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler