Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #211
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
No pictures, but last weekend was a good one for birds here. Our naturalists group took a river drive on Saturday that brought me four life birds (not that I keep an actual list): an American coot (too cute for words), a male canvasback duck, a flock of hooded mergansers, and three bald eagles. Then a Sunday walk near our neighborhood wildlife preserve brought two pileated woodpeckers, only the second time I had ever seen that species, and never close enough to see the colors.
Great sightings, Rebek!

I don't have an official list either, but I tend to get excited when I see one I've never seen before. Perhaps I should make a list. I saw my first bald eagle when we moved here! I've seen them once or twice since. The first time I saw one, I was amazed--I've always assumed they were so rare...and combined to vast wild places somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Nice to know they are making. Comeback and can be spotted where I live.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #212
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
GREAT shots, one and all...but I must say that the first one just blew me away! Beautiful!

Thanks Dap, that is a waterway right down the street from my house. It has been unusually busy. Here is one from this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-dsc_1596.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
Thanks Dap, that is a waterway right down the street from my house. It has been unusually busy. Here is one from this morning.
Wow! How wonderful that it is so close to you...and so active.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #214
Official Plant Nerd

My "life" bird is a painted bunting. I'd love to see 1 of those.
--
Niiiiiiiiiiice Viceroy!!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
My "life" bird is a painted bunting.
I've seen an indigo bunting...our second year here, I think. So, even though I never knew what a "life bird" was until recently, I guess I'm seeing a few of my own right here in my own back yard! That is just one of he benefits of creating native habitat around where one lives. I'm looking forward to an increase in biodiversity every year as I add more and more, and as I create more functional habitat. Just think what the coming years could bring!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #216
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Thanks Guys, There was alot happening today, I finally got a half way decent shot of the Osprey.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-dsc_1635.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #217
Official Plant Nerd

I wish I could get away for just a little bit.... maybe some place nice and warm where.... I COULD GET some shots like that!!! Just kidding.... really glad it didn't fly out of the frame before you clicked!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #218

Quote:
Thanks Guys, There was alot happening today, I finally got a half way decent shot of the Osprey.
That's a three-quarter way decent shot or better!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #219
Offical Silphium Abuser

Equil, we spent the Christmas holiday with relatives about an hour from Viceroy's neck of the woods. Not only was it warm there; the parks and bird life were incredible. Ospreys galore, and a cousin reports that sandhill cranes are so plentiful in her neighborhood that they've become a nuisance.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #220
Salamander

Quote:
Wow, was that a shot of a Limpkin? Just my guess, I have never seen one, we don't have them in Texas.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler