Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #201
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I assumed it was a female because the colors were dilute. Are the males pale in the winter, too?

Today I saw:-yellow-rumped-warbler-2.jpg Another view of my warbler

Today I saw:-carolina-wren-1.jpg Carolina wren

Today I saw:-house-finch-male-close-up-best.jpg male house finch

Today I saw:-pine-siskins-three-stream.jpg three pine siskins drinking from my stream

Today I saw:-red-bellied-woodpecker-seed-want-one.jpg red bellied woodpecker wants to share!

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #202

I clearly have two male red bellied woodpeckers. One's head is clearly wounded. I imagine they have territorial disputes. I watched the juveniles grow up this summer, and I don't know how large a territory they have or how old they are when they leave home.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-red-bellied-woodpecker-male-best.jpg   Today I saw:-red-bellied-woodpecker-male-5.jpg  

Old 01-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #203
Grub

I was always under the impression that it's too difficult to tell them apart in winter, so I never really thought about it or tried. To me they all look pale like that in winter though.

Also, very cool shot of the red-bellied showing how red their eyes are! I never realized they were red!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #204

Disuhan, the females have a grey cap, easier to see in a photograph than when the bird is flying around.
The juveniles are kind of salt and pepper and don't have the red cap yet. They lose that plumage and look like adults by their first winter, though.

I see these guys all the time in my woods, both at my feeders and on/in the trees, so I probably have read about them more than most other birds.

Today I saw:-red-bellied-woodpecker-female-feeder-head-.jpg female, note the grey cap
Attachment 34588 female, note she has the red as well, but with grey on top of head

Today I saw:-red-bellied-woodpecker-male-best.jpg male, for comparison

Today I saw:-red-bellied-woodpecker-juvenile-2.jpg juvenile, from the summer

Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #205
Grub

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was talking about sexing yellow-rumped warblers in fall/winter, not red-bellied woodpeckers.
You had asked this earlier:
Quote:
I assumed it was a female because the colors were dilute. Are the males pale in the winter, too?
And I responded
Quote:
I was always under the impression that it's too difficult to tell them apart in winter, so I never really thought about it or tried. To me they all look pale like that in winter though.
but didn't reference what exactly I was talking about. Oops.

Those are great pictures showing the differences in the red-bellieds though!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #206
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

We had a January thaw and the temps went up to 50 degrees the other day. I saw a tiny grasshopper, two woolly-bear caterpillars, and some small flying insect! Well, the little grasshopper guy was the one that surprised me.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 01-15-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: adding comment
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #207
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

We drove along the Lake Ontario shore today and in some places there were thousands of ducks and gulls, plus some swans. The diving ducks are really beyond my camera's reach, but Roger caught this Goldeneye out his window.

Today I saw:-p1350415.jpg Goldeneye

Today I saw:-p1350424ducks.jpg Long-tailed duck, white-winged scoter

Today I saw:-p1350427ducks.jpg Canvasbacks
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #208
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Here are a few.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-dsc_0977.jpg   Today I saw:-dsc_0524-1.jpg   Today I saw:-dsc_1253.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #209
Offical Silphium Abuser

No pictures, but last weekend was a good one for birds here. Our naturalists group took a river drive on Saturday that brought me four life birds (not that I keep an actual list): an American coot (too cute for words), a male canvasback duck, a flock of hooded mergansers, and three bald eagles. Then a Sunday walk near our neighborhood wildlife preserve brought two pileated woodpeckers, only the second time I had ever seen that species, and never close enough to see the colors.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #210
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
Here are a few.
GREAT shots, one and all...but I must say that the first one just blew me away! Beautiful!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler