Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #181
Offical Silphium Abuser

Great photos, turttle! I wasn't able to get any pictures (I'm WAY too slow), but while we were on the Space Coast over the holidays, there were ospreys everywhere. I literally lost count.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #182
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Well, my elusive unknown bird refused to show up when my camera was out, but I had fun with my camera anyway! These were all taken through my not-so-clean kitchen window, but I am pleased at how my camera deals with glass. It is the first time I have tried this with this camera.
I hope it shows up for you.

Nice close ups. I take quite a few photos of birds through not so clean windows too...most leave me happy with the results.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #183
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Thanks! I had thought the grey capped red breasted woodpeckers were juveniles til I spent extra time with my field guide and realized they are females. I really need to clean the window, though...

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #184
Heron

Quote:
Well, my elusive unknown bird refused to show up when my camera was out, but I had fun with my camera anyway! These were all taken through my not-so-clean kitchen window, but I am pleased at how my camera deals with glass. It is the first time I have tried this with this camera.
Those pictures turned out very nice! How close were these birds from the window?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #185

About five feet, and I was sitting about five feet from the window in my favorite bird watching seat.

My elusive unknown bird continues to taunt me, leaving the second I move to get the camera and not returning. One of these days I will gets a mug shot of it!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #186

I saw these in October on Little St Simons Island, GA, but never got around to posting them. Painted buntings...
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-painted-bunting-tree-2.jpg   Today I saw:-painted-bunting-juvenile-1.jpg   Today I saw:-painted-bunting-3.jpg  

Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #187
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Default Smart Pheasant!

A Pheasant very near the road where the nearby hunters can't shoot it. Good luck, beautiful bird!

Today I saw:-p1340764pheasant.jpg

Today I saw:-p1340761pheasant.jpg
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #188

Beautiful, Sage! I have never seen a pheasant. I heard once that they were introduced from Europe as game birds. Is that true? Even if, they are worth having for their beauty!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #189
Heron

Quote:
Beautiful, Sage! I have never seen a pheasant. I heard once that they were introduced from Europe as game birds. Is that true? Even if, they are worth having for their beauty!
Ring necked pheasants were introduced from china over many introductions as a game bird. The first were actually a gift from the Chinese embassy to Thomas Jefferson if I remember correctly. They are well established in the grain belt Iowa, North, and South Dakota but most states rasie and stock them as a put a take resource. They origanally thrived east of the Mississippi in agricultural areas but the use of large scale row crops and the loss of hedgerows have cut down on there survival.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #190
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
I really need to clean the window, though...

I have to clean ours too!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler