Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #171
Salamander

finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
The most unusual were the pine grosbeaks. We haven't seen them for several years. All of the rest are regular feeder visitors.
Newisc, your comment about the pine grosbeaks stirred up a memory of mine about evening grosbeaks. Way back when, I think it was 1967, I remembered looking out my school window and watching in astonishment as a big flock of these stunning birds rested in the bushes outside before passing on through. It was an exceptional moment that has always stayed with me. I haven't seen anything like it in our area since. Perhaps it was an irruption year. Do any of you guys ever see evening grosbeaks? I don't hear about them; we are well outside their normal range.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #172
Fox

They show up here a bit more often than the pine grosbeaks, but not every year. The thing that amazes me about the evening grosbeaks is how fast they can empty a feeder of black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS). They usually arrive in fairly large numbers and they are eating machines.

Some years they stay all winter; other years they seem to just be passing through. When they stay around they can really put a dent in my bird feeding budget. I'm thinking that they may well show up this year.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #173
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
They show up here a bit more often than the pine grosbeaks, but not every year. The thing that amazes me about the evening grosbeaks is how fast they can empty a feeder of black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS). They usually arrive in fairly large numbers and they are eating machines.

Some years they stay all winter; other years they seem to just be passing through. When they stay around they can really put a dent in my bird feeding budget. I'm thinking that they may well show up this year.
Thanks for your response, Newisc; I had no idea how much they ate! It is good to know that their populations seem to be doing well, at least in your area.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #174
Heron

New first time ever specie at my feeders today! Pine SiskinAlso had a couple of Fox sparrows and a white crowned sparrow show up for the first time this year.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #175
Heron

A new sighting at my feeder too, this past week....a flock of common redpolls. They were mixed in with the usual juncos, but I counted about 12 of them.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #176
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
New first time ever specie at my feeders today! Pine SiskinAlso had a couple of Fox sparrows and a white crowned sparrow show up for the first time this year.
Congrats, recurve!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
A new sighting at my feeder too, this past week....a flock of common redpolls. They were mixed in with the usual juncos, but I counted about 12 of them.
Nice, BeeWonderful!

Hmm...looks like I've got more work to do to attract more varieties of birds. Maybe I'll be adding something this year if I'm lucky.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #178
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Pine siskins have foundmy feeders. I had more than a dozen today, joined by a mixed flock of goldfinches, house finches and purple finches. I have one bird who looks like a black and white warbler, but with a white throat, that I haven't seen before; that species shouldn't be here, and I am not sure what he is. I am stalking him with my camera and will post a photo when I get one!

Turttle's pollinator garden
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Pine siskins have foundmy feeders. I had more than a dozen today, joined by a mixed flock of goldfinches, house finches and purple finches. I have one bird who looks like a black and white warbler, but with a white throat, that I haven't seen before; that species shouldn't be here, and I am not sure what he is. I am stalking him with my camera and will post a photo when I get one!
Good luck shooting that bird---er, bad phrasing, getting a shot of that bird, I mean.

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to seeng "new to me" species. Two years ago, in the summer, I saw my first indigo bunting (that wasn't pictured in a field guide)! I'm sure there are more to come.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #180
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Well, my elusive unknown bird refused to show up when my camera was out, but I had fun with my camera anyway! These were all taken through my not-so-clean kitchen window, but I am pleased at how my camera deals with glass. It is the first time I have tried this with this camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-female-cardinal-facing-camera-comic.jpg   Today I saw:-pine-siskin-4.jpg   Today I saw:-red-bellied-woodpecker-female-feeder-head-.jpg   Today I saw:-junco-tree.jpg   Today I saw:-white-headed-nuthatch-3.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler