Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #141
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
...we did have a flock of cedar waxwings come through, sadly one flew into a window and perished.

...Deer and turkeys are definitely gathering in groups, getting ready for the winter.
I'm sorry to hear about the cedar waxwing's untimely death. A couple of weeks ago, I found a yellow crowned sparrow dead at the entrance of our greenhouse--apparently it hit the glass.

On a happier note, this morning, I had just left for work and was less than a mile down the road when a deer came out of nowhere and was RIGHT in front of my car--I had barely hit the brakes when it just barely got out of the way. I can't believe I didn't even clip its hind end--it was really that close. ...and sure enough, another one passed right behind me. Two lucky deer and one lucky man!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #142
Heron

Not today but yesterday driving up to the in-laws I saw a flock of about 2 dozen Tundra Swans feeding in a field. At least they I think they were tundra swans they were close enough that I could tell they weren't mutes but far enough that I couldn't makeout the yellow tear drop marking I don't think Trumpeters would be in a flock that large.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Not today but yesterday driving up to the in-laws I saw a flock of about 2 dozen Tundra Swans feeding in a field. At least they I think they were tundra swans they were close enough that I could tell they weren't mutes but far enough that I couldn't makeout the yellow tear drop marking I don't think Trumpeters would be in a flock that large.
I learn so much from what you all post. I'd never heard of tundra swans before, and it is nice to know we have a native swan. I did a search and it looks like they come as far as Pennsylvania during their migration. . Maybe some day I'll see them and be able to ID them because of your post.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #144
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Today I saw a pile of pigeon feathers, probably left overs from the cooper's hawk I saw yesterday! It flew very low over my head, swooped up and landed on the telephone pole. They spend their winter here in Ventnor feeding at the bird feeders. Nice to see these birds adapting to our mostly inhospitable suburban environment!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
Old 11-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Today I saw a pile of pigeon feathers, probably left overs from the cooper's hawk I saw yesterday! It flew very low over my head, swooped up and landed on the telephone pole. They spend their winter here in Ventnor feeding at the bird feeders. Nice to see these birds adapting to our mostly inhospitable suburban environment!
If memory serves, you saw a Cooper's hawk last year and got some very nice pictures as I remember.

Good point about them adapting to the suburbs.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #146
Salamander

Default More Denk-Denks!

After I shoved the turkey in my oven, complete with all my favorite spices, I went outside to the morning chorus. At least one more male red-breasted nuthatch has arrived. Two of them were having a "shouting match", denk-denking and overlapping each other with their calls. Like squeeky toys going a little nuts.
Hubby commented, in his droll way, "Only they could be serious, sounding like that!"
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
After I shoved the turkey in my oven, complete with all my favorite spices, I went outside to the morning chorus. At least one more male red-breasted nuthatch has arrived. Two of them were having a "shouting match", denk-denking and overlapping each other with their calls. Like squeeky toys going a little nuts.
Hubby commented, in his droll way, "Only they could be serious, sounding like that!"

~smile~

and ~smile~ again!

Cool.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #148

Default White-breasted Nuthatch

~smile~ Okay, with all of the talk of the red-breasted nuthatches (which I'd still love to see visit here...or stay, if they like), I decided to post the white-breasted (yank-yank ...denk denk...or my combination "dyank-dyenk") that came out for the peanuts I left for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-dsc09411-crop.jpg   Today I saw:-dsc09409-panorama-2.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #149
Official Plant Nerd

Yesterday I saw..... a ring necked pheasant underneath our birdfeeder. It's an "escapee" from the pheasant farm about 5 miles north of me. They show up a coupla times a year.
--
linrose> There's things you can do about that window. Sometimes just an x out of masking tape over it can work during migration but streamers tacked up to the top of it that will reflect back on the glass pretty much always work. We've been having really good luck hanging mini blinds and pieces of stained glass on the inside of the house. I hate having more to clean but.... it does break the "illusion" that the birds can fly right through the house.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Yesterday I saw..... a ring necked pheasant underneath our birdfeeder. It's an "escapee" from the pheasant farm about 5 miles north of me. They show up a coupla times a year.
--
linrose> There's things you can do about that window. Sometimes just an x out of masking tape over it can work during migration but streamers tacked up to the top of it that will reflect back on the glass pretty much always work. We've been having really good luck hanging mini blinds and pieces of stained glass on the inside of the house. I hate having more to clean but.... it does break the "illusion" that the birds can fly right through the house.
We used to get a pheasant or two under our feeders fairly often where I grew up. I've yet to see one here. I'm not complaining though...I still remember finding out in my teen years that they are not native birds, but are stocked for hunters.
--
The first year I had bird casualties from impacts with the greenhouse glass, I drew an owl with wings spread and talons extended and placed it on the window. It seemed to work, but fell off and got wet and ruined. Perhaps I'll try your streamer idea...with something more rustic/natural looking.

What I'd really like to do is create an opaque look on the door and wall that faces north (and the road)...I planned to place pressed grape vine leaves and tendrils strategically so I can look in through the door--not that I expect to run into someone on the other side. I guess I just want it to be functional and attractive. I thought the clear glass stencil with opaque background would be cool...I even pressed and dried various things, but got stuck with how to execute it, so it got placed on the back burner.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler