Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #131
Heron

great article scarecrow thanks for sharing
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #132
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
I saw my first Red Breasted Nuthatch EVER here, too! I was blown away, had been hearing the "denk denk" call in my yard for days and wondered what the heck it was when the little guy came up to the feeder and stayed just long enough to grab a sunflower seed and dart away---and for me to get a good look at him.
According to the below link, these birds are having an "irruption" year, where they are spreading far beyond their normal ranges.

http://10000birds.com/why-are-red-br...-irrupting.htm
Yay!

...Maybe I'll be seeing them too before too long.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #133
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Yay!

...Maybe I'll be seeing them too before too long.

I hope so, too, Dap, they are absolutely delightful little birds! Got your sunflower seed feeders up?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #134

Quote:
I hope so, too, Dap, they are absolutely delightful little birds! Got your sunflower seed feeders up?
I can tell.

Nope, not yet...but I've been putting out peanuts off and on for a couple of weeks now. ...and there were some sunflower seed heads there for a while, but they are picked clean now. I hope to grow a lot more next year, for me and for the birds.

I'm wanting to steer clear of feeders, but I'm not there yet. I'm wondering if a farmers market would still have the sunflower seed heads....I'd rather but those and put them out--they could be "disposable" (used for compost in my garden), would allow for fresh perches each time they are replaced (to cut down on possible disease transmission), and would help the local economy. Even if I plant my own, I'm thinking I should suggest it at a farmers market.

I'm late in getting seed put out, but at least the weather hasn't been bad.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #135
Salamander

Those little guys do love the sunflower seeds---they normally eat conifer seeds so I guess sunflower is a suitable substitution. The sunflower "heads" might work, at any rate lots of other birds should go for them, drawing in a possible nuthatch if there's one around...ya never know!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #136

Quote:
Those little guys do love the sunflower seeds---they normally eat conifer seeds so I guess sunflower is a suitable substitution. The sunflower "heads" might work, at any rate lots of other birds should go for them, drawing in a possible nuthatch if there's one around...ya never know!
I've got the white-breasted nuthatches. They come for the sunflower, peanuts, or other nut pieces I put out...so, if the red-breasted ones are around or show up, they should come for the same stuff.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #137
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I've got the white-breasted nuthatches. They come for the sunflower, peanuts, or other nut pieces I put out...so, if the red-breasted ones are around or show up, they should come for the same stuff.
You lucky dog! I've never seen any nuthatches on my place before now. My friend who lives south and east of me (north of Houston) has seen the white-breasteds. Since they all like conifers (I think), I am surprised to see any at all this far west---not very many conifers here in the oakland savannah/ blackland prairie, though I have maybe four mature pines on my five acres.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #138

Quote:
You lucky dog! I've never seen any nuthatches on my place before now. My friend who lives south and east of me (north of Houston) has seen the white-breasteds.
I've seen the white-breasted for years--since I was a teenager at least.

Quote:
Since they all like conifers (I think), I am surprised to see any at all this far west---not very many conifers here in the oakland savannah/ blackland prairie, though I have maybe four mature pines on my five acres.
If that is the case, maybe YOU are the lucky dog!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #139
Offical Silphium Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
great article scarecrow thanks for sharing
Ditto--but now I'm sorry I missed last year's snowy owl irruption. They didn't get to our neighborhood (and this year we had an irruption of chipmunks!).

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Old 11-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #140
WG Fundraising Coordinator

We still have only the gregarious white-breasted nuthatches here but soon the red-breasted will be here. They are fun birds to watch. We've had the red-bellied woodpeckers and the downys here for a couple of weeks which always tells me winter's coming. The goldfinches have come out of the woods and are visiting the feeders now in flocks. I haven't seen any warblers for a while but we did have a flock of cedar waxwings come through, sadly one flew into a window and perished.

We've been hearing coyotes and owls at night now, I wonder if they get more active in colder weather. Deer and turkeys are definitely gathering in groups, getting ready for the winter.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler