Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #121
Heron

This morning I had a Red Breasted Nuthatch at my feeder the first one I've seen in the 4+ years I've been in this house
Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #122
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
This morning I had a Red Breasted Nuthatch at my feeder the first one I've seen in the 4+ years I've been in this house
Congrats! That is wonderful.

Your post makes me wonder what "new to me" species will start showing up in our yard in future years as the habitat I'm trying to provide really begins to develop. Thanks for the inspiration.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #123
Fox

Red Breasted Nuthatches are fascinating little birds. I see them most often in winter when I put out my feeder of black oil sunflower seeds. My location is in the Year Round area of the map, but I only encounter them on rare occasions in the summer.
Red-breasted Nuthatch, Life History, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

I was surprised to read this:
Quote:
Nuthatches are among the few non-woodpeckers that excavate their own nest cavities from solid wood.
Quote:
Both sexes excavate the nest, but the female does more than the male. Excavation can take up to 18 days and yields a cavity between 2.5 and 8 inches deep.
That seems like such a herculean task for such a little bird. It's another good reason to keep snag trees.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #124
Grub

Awesome! I saw one on my feeders this morning too, and I've been hearing them for weeks in the woods beyond my yard. They are probably my favorite winter bird!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #125

Nice find, NEWisc. I had no idea that they could (and do) excavate their own nest holes. Very cool. I've always liked nuthatches (though I only seem to see the white-breasted ones)...now I'm even more impressed with them.

Great link...I love the format, write-up, and fun facts. I'll have to explore it more. What a great discription of their call (one of the few that I recognize):
Quote:
Their excitable yank-yank calls sound like tiny tin horns being honked in the treetops.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #126
Heron

thanks guys! I used to see them all the time at my feeders when I lived in SW CT but haven't seen them here in OH until today apparently we are getting alot of influx of birds from up north early this year.
Winter Bird Movement Maps '12-'13 - RareBird.org - Page 1
I'm have my fingers crossed for some pine siskins and crossbills. I know they had some siskins at the nature center about 3/4 of a mile up the road from me.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #127

Quote:
I'm have my fingers crossed for some pine siskins and crossbills. I know they had some siskins at the nature center about 3/4 of a mile up the road from me.
Good luck.

Your enthusiasm is infectious...I'm really hoping for a influx of my own. I really want to improve the quality/biodiversity of our yard so that we tract more and more.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #128
Offical Silphium Abuser

Quote:
This year I saw my first red-breasted nuthatches--at our feeder in the middle of Toledo!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
This year I saw my first red-breasted nuthatches--at our feeder in the middle of Toledo!
Great! Congrats!

Maybe this year will be my turn.

Hey, I'm picturing the page of my fieldguide that shows the nuthatches with a brown creeper. I saw my first brown creeper here a few years ago--right outside our kitchen window.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #130
Salamander

I saw my first Red Breasted Nuthatch EVER here, too! I was blown away, had been hearing the "denk denk" call in my yard for days and wondered what the heck it was when the little guy came up to the feeder and stayed just long enough to grab a sunflower seed and dart away---and for me to get a good look at him.
According to the below link, these birds are having an "irruption" year, where they are spreading far beyond their normal ranges.

http://10000birds.com/why-are-red-br...-irrupting.htm
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler