Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #111
Salamander

Painted Buntings...thought it might be a mother and its offspring. Females and juveniles look very similar, from what I understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-painted-bunting-females-3c.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #112
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda View Post
Painted Buntings...thought it might be a mother and its offspring. Females and juveniles look very similar, from what I understand.
Wow! Beautiful, sweet photo, Linda!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #113
Official Plant Nerd

Way cool! That's my "life" bird. I wanna see some of those so bad I can taste it.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #114
A Bee's Best Friend

Are you not in Louisiana? Only place I ever saw a painted bunting and near the area you are visiting. Ask the local Audubon.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #115
Salamander

snake1 Surprise on the sidewalk

This evening I almost stepped on a baby copperhead in the dark whilst hauling groceries from my car. Hubby had already walked right over him! Pic's a little blurry because I could hardly see 'im, but what a little beauty!
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-lil-copperhead.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #116
Official Plant Nerd

I visit a friend down in SC and she has THOSE. They sure are pretty but.... that's the 1 snake that spooks me. They just sorta hang out. I've run into em a few times down by her and I keep my mouth shut so she doesn't go after it with a shovel but.... they definitely unnerve me. I'm always finding em where I least expect them and there was at least 1 time I almost stepped on 1 out by her banana trees and another time 1 got in her greenhouse and when I went to reach for a scoop.... it was right there coiled and ready to strike. I'm sure if I had been distracted yacking away or something while reaching and had kept going for the scoop that I woulda gotten bit. You keep those beauties down by you scarecrow!!! I'll enjoy your photos!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I visit a friend down in SC and she has THOSE. They sure are pretty but.... that's the 1 snake that spooks me. They just sorta hang out. I've run into em a few times down by her and I keep my mouth shut so she doesn't go after it with a shovel but.... they definitely unnerve me. I'm always finding em where I least expect them and there was at least 1 time I almost stepped on 1 out by her banana trees and another time 1 got in her greenhouse and when I went to reach for a scoop.... it was right there coiled and ready to strike. I'm sure if I had been distracted yacking away or something while reaching and had kept going for the scoop that I woulda gotten bit. You keep those beauties down by you scarecrow!!! I'll enjoy your photos!!!!
They unnerve me too...I don't think I've encountered on before though. I saw something that I mistook for one and was pleased to find out it was something harmless. A year or so ago, the neighbor said his wife saw a copperhead, something they've never seen around here before...I don't know what their snake ID skills are, but I'm sort of hoping she misidentified the snake she saw too, but for all I know she could be an expert.

Nice post, though, scarecrow...you clearly seem fine with it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #118
Salamander

snake1

Hey Equil, you crack me up! But I am with you and Dap on the spooky nature of these snakes. I stepped right on a big one back in 2007---I was wearing sandals, and I felt a pop on the leather strap guarding the side of my foot. The strap was about 2" wide and just thick enough to make the difference. There are were fang holes there, and venom running down--she had a full load and was pretty ticked about my disturbing her sun-nap! I was distracted when I stepped on her and couldn't believe my luck that time!

We used to see coral snakes on our place too; they were never a problem because they would always retreat and hide---unlike coppers. But I haven't seen any in years.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #119
Official Plant Nerd

Coral snakes don't bother me either... neither do rattle snakes.... or any other venemous snakes because.... they do like you said.... they take off!!! Those darn copperheads don't though... they're like scorpions.... they stand their ground and I definitely don't like running into those either and it seems like every time I visit my friend in SC.... I "stumble" across a copperhead. She really goes after em like a wild woman.... I kid you not. If I said 1 word about running into a copperhead anywhere on her property she'd hound me till I told her where it was then she'd take her shovel and go after it. They have their place... I've tried explaining that to her. I failed!!! I really don't like seeing their brains bashed in but on the other hand.... I really don't want to get bit what with the way they keep "popping up" all the time.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
Hey Equil, you crack me up! But I am with you and Dap on the spooky nature of these snakes. I stepped right on a big one back in 2007---I was wearing sandals, and I felt a pop on the leather strap guarding the side of my foot. The strap was about 2" wide and just thick enough to make the difference. There are were fang holes there, and venom running down--she had a full load and was pretty ticked about my disturbing her sun-nap! I was distracted when I stepped on her and couldn't believe my luck that time!

We used to see coral snakes on our place too; they were never a problem because they would always retreat and hide---unlike coppers. But I haven't seen any in years.
Wow! You have quite a story to tell! Amazing!
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler