Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #101
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
I can't imagine ever seeing a Painted Bunting in "real life" lol! Great photos.

Whatever happened to the "life bird" thread? Anyone want to make one? I thought it shouldn't be me since I'm not sure the full definition of the phrase "life bird." If someone clues me in on this I think I have a pretty good idea what my life bird is & I wouldn't mind starting the thread, either.
I've only seen them pictured in fieldguides...and those posted here.

I'm guessing a "life bird" is sort of like a "bucket list"--a bird you want to see sometime in your lifetime before you die. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, now, start that thread so I can satisfy my curiosity about just which bird made your list!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #102
Salamander

I talked to a neighbor from another part of the subdivision and he confirmed that the Painted Bunting birds were coming to a feeder his wife had put up. Needless to say, the couple were a bit excited. Said they hadn't been able to get a picture of them yet but are trying! I know what you mean about the ones you don't normally see! Guess I take the "resident" birds for granted.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #103
WG Facilitator

Wow - it sounds like I had a very special bird visit me!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #104
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Three females and 14 (I think) chicks out in the field this hot humid morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I saw:-turkey-brood.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Very nice!

So far I've only seen a turkey once or twice in our yard...and no family with him. Maybe some day I'll get a shot like yours. I did, however, spot something (about 1,500 ft. from our bay window...across a field on the other side of a creek even) that looked out of place to my eye; I grabbed the binoculars, and, sure enough, there was a male turkey in full display! They are around...I guess it is just a matter of time until I see them as regular visitors--I hope.

Thanks for sharing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #106
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Very nice!

So far I've only seen a turkey once or twice in our yard...and no family with him. Maybe some day I'll get a shot like yours. I did, however, spot something (about 1,500 ft. from our bay window...across a field on the other side of a creek even) that looked out of place to my eye; I grabbed the binoculars, and, sure enough, there was a male turkey in full display! They are around...I guess it is just a matter of time until I see them as regular visitors--I hope.

Thanks for sharing.
Oak trees attract them, especially white oaks. They swallow the acorns till you would think they wouldn't be able to stand. Want turkeys? plant white oaks. If you're desperate to have them, plant Quercus muehlenbergii, the chinkapin oak.

Of course they will eat most anything, but they love these acorns

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #107
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Great picture, Linrose!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Oak trees attract them, especially white oaks. They swallow the acorns till you would think they wouldn't be able to stand. Want turkeys? plant white oaks. If you're desperate to have them, plant Quercus muehlenbergii, the chinkapin oak.

Of course they will eat most anything, but they love these acorns
Thanks, jack!

I did plant a white oak (bareroot) our first year here...but it will be a long time before it produces! There is one oak that is about 15-20 years old, I'd guess...so less of a wait there. I think it is a red oak. This year, I ordered some dwarf chinkapin oaks...some are potted up and others are in the ground...so there should be less of a wait there.

Your description of how they devour the acorns sounds like quite a sight to see.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #109
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Well, that happens to be a Chinkapin oak in the photo! We have another one in the backyard, which may be why I've seen them there also. We have one huge white oak across the drive and several small ones too. The southern red oaks produce large amounts of acorns as well and we have many of them. Right now the turkeys seem to be scavanging for insects. It's fun to see them pick them off the grass tops. Must be immature grasshoppers or crickets.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #110

Quote:
Well, that happens to be a Chinkapin oak in the photo! We have another one in the backyard, which may be why I've seen them there also. We have one huge white oak across the drive and several small ones too. The southern red oaks produce large amounts of acorns as well and we have many of them. Right now the turkeys seem to be scavanging for insects. It's fun to see them pick them off the grass tops. Must be immature grasshoppers or crickets.
Cool. My chinkapin oaks are the dwarf variety...most are or will be planted on two short slopes, that might affect where the turkeys can find the acorns due to gravity...I'll have to plan for that. . At lest one spot is kind of naturally terraced and close to my planned woodland's edge. That might be a great place to see the turkeys congregate. .

It is fun planning ahead.
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, bird nest, bird watching, birds, nashville warbler, nest building, nests, northern oriole, oriole, today, warbler, watching birds, yellow warbler