Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Nuthatch territorialism

We have this white-breasted nuthatch that is wearing itself out pecking at his reflection in the glass doors. I've opened one of the doors in my second floor office but not the double doors right below it so he goes there to fight off imaginary enemies. I guess I'll have to put up some streamers or something to deter him. He'll need his strength to protect his family from real enemies.

Between the nuthatches and the woodpeckers hammering on the metal eaves of the house and the wood pergola on the deck we have a real racket going on here! It's OK though, I know I've encouraged a lot of birds to live here and that's the way I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Nuthatch territorialism-nuthatch-window.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great photo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
He'll need his strength to protect his family from real enemies.
Good point.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

I'm going a little nuts here! He's tapping on every door and window, no matter what I do! Tomorrow I'm going to the party store and buying some bright streamers to hang on the doorways so the dude gets it!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
I'm going a little nuts here! He's tapping on every door and window, no matter what I do!
Wow! Poor you.

Are you sure you didn't just forget to refill the birdfeeder?

Quote:
Tomorrow I'm going to the party store and buying some bright streamers to hang on the doorways so the dude gets it!!!!
Good luck with that! Keep us posted.

Just remember, the neighbors will think you are having a party and they weren't invited.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #5

He's at it again, very early this morning I might add! I think I'm feeding the birds too much which is why he's hanging out. I'm sitting at my desk watching (and listening) to him tap away. Yesterday I opened the door which confused him but he almost flew in a couple of times and I didn't want him to get trapped in the house and really freak him (and me) out.

I'm going to rummage around in the attic and look for some old Christmas ribbon or something I can tape to the door. Be back with ya soon.

Here is my desk, and the door. The nuthatch is in the picture but he's just a blur because he's pretty quick.
Attached Thumbnails
Nuthatch territorialism-knocking-nuthatch.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #6

OK, I found some ribbon and taped it to the outside of the door. He's been approaching and looking confused but so far it seems to be working. Unfortunately he found the second floor laundry room window to be just as appealing which is right next to my office.

Hmmm, onto Plan B.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Heron

Linrose, that is so amusing! My kids would get a kick out of that if we had that happening here. But I suppose if it goes on all day long, it gets a little tiring... you'd think it'd get tiring for him too! We have nesting nuthatches here too but they just visit the feeders and then fly away. Are you sure there aren't bugs or anything hanging out on your windows?
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

That's what I thought it was originally. Believe me, the doors and windows and eaves have been picked clean of spiders and any other bugs that may have been there. Usually the Carolina wrens keep them pretty clean and now the nuthatches are helping out as well. Nope, this guy is hammering his brains out tilting at windmills! I think I might start calling him "Don". Do birds get headaches???

So I hung the ribbons, great. That worked for about 5 minutes. He's baaaack!!! Oh well, at least the house looks festive now. Party anyone???
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Heron

Wow, I wish I had a solution for you! It seems like glass would really hurt his head & give him an awful headache. He is a very determined bird.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
Fox

Maybe print out a picture of a hawk or owl and tape it to the glass??
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird behavior, birds, knock, knocking., nut hatch, nuthatch, peck, pecking, tap, tapping, territorialism, window, windows