Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Hey now, there's an idea! It's worth a shot. Poor guy, he's really beating himself up.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Is his nest really close to your house? I have a pair of nuthatches nesting down my back slope who come to my feeders, but I have never had your problems with them. You must be going crazy.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Heron

Let us know what's happened linrose, I'm very curious if you've seen any improvement!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Salamander

I've heard shining a light into the window would break the bird's reflection. Only once did we have a cardinal attack our window and not for very long. So I never had a need to try it. I just put up strips of bird tape to prevent window crashes, but don't know if it would help in a case like this, since it could see its reflection between the strips.

One other suggestion I read somewhere was tape newspaper on the outside of the windows.

I hope this ends soon for you. I've heard of people going through this for a month.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
WG Operations, Facilitator

linrose, sorry to laugh so hard at your dilemna, but I do believe your knocking nuthatch is trying to send you a message. Perhaps via morse code?

..-. . . -.. / -- .

Would anyone like to venture a guess at the translation?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
Fox

Good one!

(.... - - .--. ---... -..-. -..-. -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . .-.-.- ... -.-. .--. .... .. .-.. .-.. .. .--. ... .-.-.- -.-. --- -- -..-. .--- - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. .-.-.- .... - -- .-..)
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #17

FEED ME!!!

Thanks for the Morse code message 4B, and for the translator (in Morse code) NEWisc, now how would that work???? I'd need to know Morse code before I could follow that URL, egg/chicken thing.

Anyway our friend Don (Quixote) is still visiting everyday though not quite as persistantly as before. There's no way I'm completely covering the glass, we'd be walking around in the dark and I need my phototherapy everyday! I'll open the door in the morning at in the evening before it gets hot out (it's been getting up in the high 80s all week) which keeps him from pecking at the glass temporarily.

I don't know if he even has a nest, if he's battling an imaginary male he's still fighting for territorial rights, is that how it works? He looks young, maybe he just needs some experience, you know, get his yayas out first like most teenagers.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Good one, 4B!

I was never a boy scout, but thanks to linrose's comments, I get NEWisc's joke... ...and I agree with her, it is a chicken or the egg kind of thing...or at least a -.-. .- - -.-. .... / ..--- ..---
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #19

CATCH 22!!!

Another zinger dap!

Is this going to become a "thing"?????

Tags
bird, bird behavior, birds, knock, knocking., nut hatch, nuthatch, peck, pecking, tap, tapping, territorialism, window, windows