Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Help me understand; the greatest obstacle is your bird playing musical corners necessitating four webcams.

Would this be correct?
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #32
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

The Peregrines in the Niagara gorge also had a habit of switching sides every year. The Gorge's George lost his mate. When he bonded with Diamond, the CPF installed a nest box with pea gravel for the parents to make a scrape in, and it is recessed in the building, protecting the birds from the elements and offering a higher survival rate to the babies.
But, the site has no cam. The old defunct power plant won't pay for it.
Utility companies, universities who get donated services, thruway authorities, successful buildings or companies who want good PR, are the most likely to supply and broadcast cams.
Cams help educate viewers about Peregrine falcons and other wildlife. This helps create support. The Buffalo-Niagara area has seven nest sites, but just one with a cam. I believe next year we'll have two, maybe more.
Once Peregrines choose a site, a nestbox with gravel, roof, and perches can be installed to help assure better survival. If the building or some other entity steps up and makes a commitment, possibly a live stream cam. Possibly also a forum for falcon watchers to gather, learn and share.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG Admin View Post
Help me understand; the greatest obstacle is your bird playing musical corners necessitating four webcams.

Would this be correct?
No, lack of funding is still the greatest obstacle. The county IT department has been cut severely since the days of the original webcam at this site.
BarbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

That's a bummer. I love those livestream videos.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #35
Salamander

Had to shoot through a dirty window for this one. It works for an ID, though. Clair is paired with Tornado, a 2 year old from Muskegon, Michigan.
Attached Thumbnails
My new lady-dsc_0007.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Had to shoot through a dirty window for this one. It works for an ID, though. Clair is paired with Tornado, a 2 year old from Muskegon, Michigan.
That is a beautiful pair!
Have you found any prey items dropped nearby?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #37
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
That is a beautiful pair!
Have you found any prey items dropped nearby?
Thanks!

Yesterday, after a weekend without us watching, the building manager asked me to come up. There were two white eggs (wrong color and too small for peregrine eggs) that were rolled out from behind the air conditioner blocking our view. They were dirty and broken. Probably had been there for quite a while.

Clair was in her usual spot and is getting used to us. The DNR has only asked me to ID the birds. They seem skeptical that this pair will nest. I have sent them the band information and not heard back, yet. We decided to take the leap and I went out with Clair yesterday. She has no fear. I don't think that she would have allowed me to touch her, but I was close enough. There are no eggs, but the pair was there this morning and both seem to be defending this area. Tornado did some squawking and making passes when I was out with Clair.

Their actions all would make me think that they had eggs or young. They should not defend this site without a scrape, but there is none. Maybe this 2 & 4 year old are just practicing?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #38

Unless they arrived at that site late, I don't know why they would not be mating and producing young. He may be setting "gifts" for her somewhere higher.
In March a new Pefa pair forced out our resident pair at the terminal which has a nice nest box, and killed our female Stella. The new pair have been seen mating since then, but just recently settled down and produced three eggs, well late of the local schedule. Orther area sites were having hatches by then.
Your new pair may have hooked up late, after failed nests elsewhere or losing a mate.
They're together now and seem bonded. Hopefully the DNR can get a nest box up for next year, and between now and then, arrange for a cam.
Keep us posted on the pefa activity!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #39

2 and 4 should be producing. One of our terminal hatches from last year forced out an resident female in Canada, took over the site, bonded with the resident male. All were wondering if Chessie was too young at just less than one. Well, she finally produced an egg! I'm following them onCPF.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #40
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Glad you were successful in getting his ID, fishlkmich. It will be interesting to see what happens with this pair.
BarbB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avian, banding, bird, bird watching, birds, dnr, eggs, falcon, lady, lansing, mate, mating, mt. clemens, nest, nest sites, nests, peregrine, photos