Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Robins nest site bad choice.

I watched robins build a nest in the small tree right outside our back door after all the recent rain. There is plenty of wet pliable grass and plant stems in a pile out back for them to work with, and strangely,they seemed to find a bit of plastic and screen cloth useful. But our back door is very active on weekends and we had some very young boys playing there for an afternoon. So the robins backed off and seem to have abandoned the site. It was interesting watching from the window so very close up to the nest.
Attached Thumbnails
Robins nest site bad choice.-hobbits-078.jpg   Robins nest site bad choice.-hobbits-079.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Pope

Great photos, Gloria. The inside of a freshly built nest isn't something that we get to see very often.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Rock Star

They are wonderful photos but I don't think that last one looks very appealing inside.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
They are wonderful photos but I don't think that last one looks very appealing inside.
Looks like my house since I fired my cleaning lady. Looks like they moved out - just as I feel like doing...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

Yes, robins are not the best nest builders. Though if the birds had finished the nest it would have had a more appealing lining but it has been abandoned. I think there was just too much activity so close. I'm wondering if I should remove it.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
The Bug Whisperer

Robins in our yard also made some questionable nest site choices - one in a small evergreen tree only about three feet off the ground, now abandoned after the eggs were destroyed by unknown parties; the other on top of the electric meter on the north end of our house - so far, still occupied. Now that we know of its presence, we do our best to avoid unnecessary activity in that vicinity.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Heron

2cents Robins won't lay with too much activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Robins in our yard also made some questionable nest site choices - one in a small evergreen tree only about three feet off the ground, now abandoned after the eggs were destroyed by unknown parties; the other on top of the electric meter on the north end of our house - so far, still occupied. Now that we know of its presence, we do our best to avoid unnecessary activity in that vicinity.
We have our share of Robins in the Area but I never saw the nests...Just shooting the breeze with the neighborhood fisherman and he's always asking for earthworms, Well I have never given him any; Most times he fishes in the summer months and they are pretty deep by then. So the response off the top of my head was "Sorry Ray but the Robins get them as soon as I turn my back".. His wife chimes in with the fact that they have a Robin nest every year on their detached garage right behind the coach light. I'm familiar with the location of the nest and while sheltered there's a very active border collie on the other side of the fence. My sister noticed a robin's nest in her courtyard about 4 feet up in a six foot Japanese Maple. I guess most will abandon nests if there's a better site
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Heron

I found a robin nest on the ground at the base of a tree mother was on the nest I probably would not have seen it if she didn't fly away there were eggs in there to they will nest in the craziest places!
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, bird, bird nest, bird nests, birdnest, birds, choice, nest, nest locations, nest photos, nesting, nesting sites, photos, robin nest, robin's nest, robins, site